Aly J asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 decade ago

solar energy?

how is solar energy better then some of the current enrgy resources

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Solar energy is not necessarily better than hydro or wind power. Solar energy is restricted to daytime sourcing, whereas hydro may be round the clock and adjustable in volume, but most significantly it may be much less costly.

Wind power is also unreliable, but is very economical when the wind blows.

Solar power in teh form of electricity is of course much more costly at the present time than nuclear or coal. New developments appear to be changing that.

Solar power as direct heating is much more economical than coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear. Other than geothermal (hot springs) it is the most economical source of heat. Again, Solar is not the best heat source if you have hot springs.

Solar (photovoltaic) power is very practical as a supplement to wind power... providing a daily base that can be depended upon, whereas wind can not.

Photo-voltaics can be produced with almost no toxic emissions, but this can not be claimed for all photovoltaics.

Solar panels do not produce a lot of noise or other pollution during operation.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Solar energy is a resource that is not only sustainable for energy consumption, it is indefinitely renewable (at least until the sun runs out in billions of years). Solar power can be used to generate electricity, it is also used in relatively simple technology to heat water.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not so much better. We can say that solar energy is like the more environmentally friendly modern technology that would usually need fossil fuels. Solar power just uses energy from the sun, but we don't always need to use solar power, we can use other things, for example we can use cooking oil for car gas,(it does work)

• 4 years ago

Solar energy is a clean and free energy. It can be converted into heat and electric energy, and does not product pollution.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can get tax subsides for setting up a home/business solar panel array. And any extra electricity you don't personally use you can sell to the electric company and make a profit off it.

Solar's clean and can be used in more places than wind or hydro (since those require zones of high wind or locations of water; water requires dams)

Germany has huge panels lining up their freeways, a pretty good way to set up an electric source.

My ex installs and works with solar energy, its a booming business. And the stocks are beginning to rise and profit.

• Misty
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

Solar energy is a great source of energy because it is renewable. It cannot be deleted like fossil fuels.

Solar energy is clean and is not responsible for global warming or the greenhouse effect.

Using solar energy would decrease our need for foreign dependency.

• 1 decade ago

It's clean... it's readily available and we're not going to run out of solar energy for a few billion years.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/20...

As it is now, coal is dirty even when they try to 'clean' it up. Nuclear power has a LOT of issues, including cost and of course what to do with the spent rods (I live near a reactor... believe me it's not fun contemplating what will happen to it as it reaches the end of its lifespan). There's some promise with wind turbines but they're limiting and some folks think they're ugly (I don't think so) and some complain they harm our flying friends. Oil, natural gas, etc.. all fossil fuels are dirtier and finite.

If companies would focus on solar we'd be much better off. As it is though, until they find a way to make money off of us for it, be prepared to wrestle your neighbor for fossil fuels first.

• 1 decade ago

Right now when you try to use it, its more like casting a vote than getting anything useful. Its got lots of potential and if you've got the money I say vote for it. I've heard at certain times you got up to 7Kw per square meter of available energy your roof is robbing the ground of anyway. That's enough to run a home in just one meter. That's pretty cool. Problem is storing it. Its a real problem cause most of us are not at home using energy in the middle of the day anyway, but company's that are running full bore and using over 90% of the energy anyway are. We need to push them to start investing in it not so much us. In my view if ever human being unplugged there house and slept in a ditch it might cut energy usage by 10% which is nothing.

• 4 years ago

Solar energy is clean, without pollution emission. The traditional energy, such as coal or oil, may get exhausted after certain period of years. The solar energy is inexhaustible.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Solar energy is cost saving. With a little effort lot of money can be saved. Solar is the future.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.