max asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

McCain and immigration...?

Can't get an straight answer... Is he for it or against it? Seems to me he just wants the Latino votes to help him get elected... What do you think?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is Mc Cains albatross in this race.

He was seduced (or maybe he did the seducing) the Senate into believing that the Comprehensive Immigration Bill of 2007 was the "best bill we can get at this time" (Senator Kennedy's opinion of the bill)

It was a terribly flawed bill that sold the American people down the drain so that politicians like Mc Cain could profit from the Latino vote.

The American public showed them EXACTLY what they thought of such a bill. They jammed the switchboard and put the Senate out of business for a period.

Now, Mc Cains only response to this fiasco is to say that "now he understands that the only approach to ANY immigration legislation is to secure the borders first".

E X C U S E ME! If you are runnig for the highest office in the land, JUST WHEN did you discover this fundemantal truth? And WHY did it take the collective sense of the American people to get you to see the light? Are you THAT STUPID Mr. Mc Cain? If so, maybe the American People should reconsider your qualifications to run this country.

Mc Cain is a panderer, just as Hillary is.

• BDOLE
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Well, he seems in favor of a one-time amnesty, but not a simple path. Back taxes, background checks, and heavy fines would be included, so it certainly wouldn't be cheap, and any illegals from that point forth would never be permitted to get a visa to work in the United States, ever.

It's not a simple free ticket like some would think, but it is a conditional amnesty. He's very much in favor of legal immigration, and he wants to attack illegal immigration, but he doesn't want to try to "turn back the clock" on what's already happened, nor does he seem interested in the waste of time and money that a border fence would entail. Stopping illegal immigration is a matter of putting pressure on employers, many states such as New Mexico and Oklahoma are finding this out.

Of course, he does want the Latino vote, and this is no small factor in that, but I believe his more moderate stance on immigration comes from understanding the influence immigrants have on an economy, living in a border state as he does.

• 1 decade ago

McCain will continue the ICE and INS raids that are so prevalent right now. What I don't understand is this disdain to not vote for Obama, who supports giving immigrants driver's licenses as a means of identification. Hillary initially supported the same proposal in NY, but changed her mind later with no further explanation. If Hillary wins the Dem nomination and goes against McCain, I think McCain is going to win that battle...and for Latinos, this will be like having an 'educated, war hero' version of Bush for 4 more years....oh well, who would be to blame for that?

• 1 decade ago

Well he is from a border state so I suppose he is influenced by that fact. Anyway here are some points from a Washington Post article. He seems more like a liberal on the illegal immigrant issue. But he may be changing his tune as the election draws near.

'Following is a partial listing of some of Mr. McCain's troubling actions on illegal immigration:

Supporting mass amnesty. The May 29, 2003, Tucson Citizen quoted Mr. McCain as stating that "Amnesty has to be an important part of" any immigration solution. He was part of the bipartisan coalition that tried to pass amnesty legislation in 2006 and 2007. In 2006 he voted in favor of S. 2611, legislation that would reward between 10 and 11 million illegals with amnesty if they apply for legal status and pay a $2,000 fine.

Supporting in-state tuition for illegal aliens. Mr. McCain was a cosponsor of S. 774, the Dream Act, providing in-state tuition for illegal aliens. The legislation would have enabled illegal aliens who entered the United States before age 16 to obtain a green card and then use their newly acquired status to obtain green cards for the millions of parents who illegally brought their children with them into the United States. Mr. McCain missed a Senate vote on the issue in October. He said that he would have opposed it on the Senate floor had he been there to vote.

Voted to kill border fence. In 2006, Mr. McCain voted for an amendment to S. 2611 offered by Sen. Arlen Specter to require consultation with the Mexican government concerning the construction of fencing along the U.S.-Mexican border. According to Numbers USA, an organization that lobbies against illegal immigration, this amendment would have effectively guaranteed that the border fence was never built.

Voted against permanently barring gang members and terrorists from the United States. Last year, Mr. McCain voted against an amendment (Senate Amendment 1184) introduced by Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican, that would have permanently barred gang members, terrorists, sex offenders, alien absconders, aliens convicted of domestic violence and aliens convicted of at least three DUIs from the United States. The Cornyn Amendment was rejected on a 51-46 vote.'

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

McCain for sure has a horrible record with immigration, it seems that he is against the overwhelming majority of Americans that want illegals out.

My guess is that if elected, his liberal agenda on this issue will have such backlashes that it will fade into a virtual no-show such as that bean lovin Bush

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well the Mexicans have overrun Arizona, so yes, it is about their votes. The conservatives will join me regardless.

Yes, I did introduce amnesty legislation with Ted Kennedy that would have required illegal aliens to pay a fine, then get a visa.

• 1 decade ago

No candidates are AGAINST illegal immigration that are still in the running.

Note the difference being illegal versus legal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.