Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Is it ok to start a relationship while seperated and in the process of getting a divorce?

Three months ago I met a special someone; not intentionally looking to be in a relationship; however a month before i met him I seperated from my husband because of constant physical abuse. He just became a friend to me and it developed into something amazing.

Favorite Answer

Really what it all boils down to is your own conciance. I think personally it's still concidered cheating your still married.

See there is still time for reconciliation so if you do this now your breaking your own vows and and not being true to yourself.

But if you know damn well you won't be getting back together then I don't see why not.

Cheers!

You go for it because the marriage is already over except for signing the paper. If this man has become your friend and he is there for you then that is good. Be happy, have fun and take it slow....enjoy the excitement of dating and always keep that little mystery about you that keeps him wondering. You made a wise choice in leaving someone that physically abused you and I am sure you will never deal with that again in any relationship. You deserve a good guy in your life to show you that all men are not that way so you have a great and wonderfull time moving on in your life and developing that friendship that is so amazing! Take care and best wishes to you both.

If your husband was physically abusive during your marriage, how do you think he'll react if he finds out you're seeing someone else before the divorce is final?

Wait until after you're divorced before you pursue another relationship. This should accomplish three things. One, it'll give you time to get your head screwed on straight; you've obviously got some issues to work out. Two, it'll make your ex realize it's really over, and he'll move on. Three, if the new guy is still waiting for you when the divorce is final, you'll know you've got a winner.

Sure it's ok, i was in the same boat 3 years back. Split from hubby and a month later, i met a wonderful fella (like you i to, was not looking) just one of them things that happen. And as time went on, it developed in to more. Long story short a month after my divorce was over and done with, he asked me to marry him ( i said yes) and these last 3 years have be wonderful. So i say go for it, and see where it takes you both.

~Good Luck~

• deluna

don't experience giulty for being happy,yet make useful this pal isn't a rebound fling.no longer saying that's what that's.make useful this communicate of extra is something you 2 would desire to evaluate and it won't break your friendship,yet in basic terms make it improved.communicate out each little thing from the previous to what you the two desire interior the destiny.What the two one in each of you exspect from eachother out of the realationship.Set your objectives and standards.do no longer leap in with the two feet.Take it sluggish and in the past any intercourse is in touch wait till finally your divorce is very final.shop your head at present day and supply your self some time to take interior the wear and then enable it bypass.Cry and get mad and then circulate on.intercourse can confuse something contained in one in each of those situation.So becareful and use your head.

• ScSpec

You can do whatever you choose, but if you were abused in your marriage, it may be a reason that you are ready to quickly connect with someone who shows affection. You are trying to prove to yourself that you are worthy of fair treatment. It is important to grieve over a broken relationship and get to know yourself again before jumping back into another situation. It may be hard for you to realistically evaluate it in your state of mind.

Take your time to know this person better. People tend to change over time. Besides you're barely in the process of a divorce. Take your time. If this person really is special, you'll know if its meant to be or not.

There will be lots of people on here saying not to.

But my opinion is..............if you are in the process of divorce, then it is clear that your marriage is over. I think its fine to start dating. It would be good for you to have someone to help you through this horrible process.

Im live in Australia, and here you have to be seperated for a year before you can even file for divorce....................so thats a LONG time to wait to go out on a date, or even just go out for company and friendship.

I think its fine.

If you have legal proceedings that have been initiated already then you are perfectly allowed to go out (even in public) with this special friend. There is nothing that says you need to wait for a final decree.

• 8

I say YES, because the same thing happened to me., only he was separated and had just filed for divorce. I didn't date divorced men as a rule, so I waited nearly 3 years to say yes. I'd tell you how many wonderful years it has been, but I'd give away my age. ;)