Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

If I burn 300 calories a day on an elliptical machine is it worth it?

Right now I am doing 20 minutes, or 300 calories, once a day and I'm wondering if I will lose weight? Right now I'm 5'4" and 225lbs so that's all I can handle without collapsing. Any advise for me? Also I'm pretty sure I have a large bone frame because when I wrap my thumb and middle finger around my wrist, there's about 1" space. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Yes. It’s worth it.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of body fat. So, at 300 calories burned per day you’ll loose about 15 pounds in six months. This is if you made no changes to your diet.

By cutting 500 calories a day from your diet, you would lose an additional pound of body fat per week. So, after six months instead of losing just 15 pounds you would lose close to 40.

Once you get into better shape, try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) -- google it. You’ll burn the same amount of calories with less time on the elliptical, about 3 to 4 20min. sessions per week.

Good luck.

Your current workout routine is absolutely worth it. 20 minutes once a day on an elliptical machine is a perfectly good way to start out a fitness routine. 300 calories is a good amount of calories to aim for. The most important thing to remember about losing weight is that's a simple formula: if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. It takes a deficit of approximately 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. Since a reasonable weight loss goal is to lose no more than a pound a week, if you continued to burn 300 calories a day and you reduced your calorie consumption by 200 a day, you will create a deficit of 500 calories per day, and thus and 3500 per week. So in summary, 500 calories burned per day x 7 days = 3500 calories burned in a week = 1 pound lost per week.

Of course, as Jason above me said, adding a weight training routine would also help tremendously because lean muscle burns more calories even while at rest than fat does. But build up to that if you're just starting to work out.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

Source(s): Fitness enthusiast
  • Jason

Your wrists will shrink quite a bit as your bodyfat goes down... I had to have links taken out of all my watch bands when I first started back at the gym 5 years ago.

The elliptical machine may or may not be worth it. I always liked weight training because if you increase your muscle mass you will burn more calories just sitting on the couch.

It all depends on what you take in. To put it simply, burn less calories than you put in, and you'll lose weight.

You can go much deeper than that though. Research nutrition. Find out about what ingredients are worse for you (weight gain, less sugar/high fructose corn syrup is a start), find out how to eat without starving yourself and still lose weight.

20 Minutes isn't much, but it depends how intense you go, if it's too intense, just take the extra time but go slower, you should know your body and limits. Obviously, don't feel sick, just try and go til your tired when you can without looking at time and calorie counts, follow better nutrition, and it'll flow off

keep going....300 calories per day is great. never worry about how much, just keep moving and eating healthy. somedays you may only feel like burning 150. Other days you will be able to do 600. just get yourself on the machine, that's the hardest part

well sweetheart,that is good,but nothing burns calories better than if you just eat healthy.portion your meals and NO snacking between meals. it sounds like you're doing good though. fruits and veggeis really do work wonders. occasionally go outside and walk or ride a bike around your block and when it gets warmer,swim.keep up the good work.

I've lost 5 kilos in my first week. It's my 10th day and I have included salad with some protein (eg. egg/ lean chicken) as you suggested. After 4 years of trying, the fat is finally coming off. It truly feels like magic!

Get started today!

The only thing sweat does is cool you off lol. If you barely sweat that means you didn't drink enough fluids.

that depends on how many calories you eat

ALL exercise is worth it. Keep it up!!