Law advice?

When my husband and I divorced, he kept all our marital assets and all our marital debt (as in our divorce decree). Since then, he has had a portion of his debt forgiven and he received a statement saying he has to claim this forgiven portion as income on his tax form. He gave me the form and said that I have to claim it too. Is this right?

3 Answers

  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Not if he took full responsibility for the debt. Go to HR and ask or call your local Jackson Hewitt and ask for free advice You won't have to tell them any of your information to get an answer.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    no if court order say he keeps the assetts, then he has to file the form. he's trying to put the screws to you. try a tax proffesional - hr block could probably help you better than any one here

  • 1 decade ago

    Go to and ask them. They will be able to tell you for real.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.