Hailie Selasi - what is the connection with Ethiopia and Jamaica?

Can someone explain to me about rastafarianism? Who is Hailie Selasi and what do rasta's believe in and who is Hailie Selasi to rastas and why?

He's from Ethiopia right? What is the connection with Ethiopia and Jamaica?

Thanks

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Haile Selassie was Emperor of Ethiopia from 1930 to 1974. He spent the war years in exile in Bath, England, where he founded the International Club. One of his official titles as Emperor was King of Kings of Ethiopia (at the time known as Abyssinia) and another Ras Tafari and he was a descendant of the union of Solomon and Sheba. His coronation was a magnificent affair which attracted a great deal of publicity all over the world and in particular two articles in "Time" magazine attracted attention among certain Jamaicans, who were inspired by his lineage and his official titles, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings and Elect of God. The idea spread that he was the confirmation of prophecy in the Book of Revelation in the New Testament: King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah and Root of David. Rastafari faith in the incarnate divinity of Haile Selassie. Ethiopia became, in their imaginations, the promised land to which they were destined to return. In 1961, the Jamaican government sent a delegation composed of both Rastafarian and non-Rastafarian leaders to Ethiopia to discuss the matter of repatriation, among other issues, with the Emperor. He gave encouragement to this dream of "returning" to Jamaica.

When Haile Selassie visited Jamaica on 21 April 1966, he was mobbed by about one hundred thousand Rastafari from all over Jamaica descended on Palisadoes Airport in Kingston. That day, widely held by scholars to be a major turning point for the movement, is still commemorated by Rastafarians as Grounation Day, the anniversary of which is celebrated as the second holiest holiday after November 2, the Emperor's Coronation Day. Haile Selassie himself was a member of the Ethiopian Coptic Church and is reported as having been dismayed and appalled at the idea of being seen as a god, going as far as to send Coptic priests to Jamaica to turn people away from Rastafarianism.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

To the Rastas, Haile was a living God, basically.

My mom (Ethiopian) told me the reason was because......At the time when Haile was Emperor of Ethiopia he visited Jamaica and at that time Jamaica was going through a drought and right when he landed his feet on the ground it began raining from that day on They started seeing him beyond his title as King, they started seeing him as God! Which seems odd to me because Haile said himself that he doesn't want to be seen as a God and that he isn't God. His a Ethiopian Orthodox.He divided Ethiopians by there skin color believing that the light skinned people are higher class and the dark lower class (reasoning why Mengistu did what he did to Ethiopia).

But the Rastas can't get that through their thick dreads so they still worship him anyway. Lol

They see Ethiopia as Zion.

Rastafarianism- is a movement developed in Jamaica that believe that Haile Selassie is God on Land, following Cannabis(use of drugs; spirituality), Cleanness and etc.

And there is no Connection what so ever...between Jamaica and Ethiopia

--Cheers

Source(s): Ethiopian-American
    • ...Show all comments
    • tigist5 years agoReport

I know the same story as the drought and Selassie wanting abolish racism that is far from the truth, he did not like dark skin....lol

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.