Tiffany asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Gallbladder Surgery Question?

For the past 2 months I have had severe stomach pains and attacks after eating, vomiting, weight loss, etc. My doctors finally came to the conclusion after some testing and an ultrasound that I need to have my gallbladder removed. I am having surgery next week and for about a week the symptoms subsided and now I am having severe abdominal discomfort. I am just wondering and wanting to hear about those who have had the same situation and surgery done as to what you went through before and after surgery. I appreciate serious answers only. Thank You!

Favorite Answer

I have had my gallbladder out about 4 years know. I not feeling really any better, the problem is you still have to change your diet. No more greasy or acidic foods. If you smoke or drink coffee too much you have to quit, all those thing upset the GI tract something fierce. The surgery is quite simple really, if you have taken out by laser. It leave 3 small scars and done on a outpatient basis. I went in at 6 am and left by noon, your abdomen will be a little tender for a few weeks. I would also recommend something for diarrhea, without the gallbladder to break down all the bile produced by the liver it tends to turn your stool into diarrhea. I have been taking cholestyremine. It is a oral suspension used to lower cholesterol, but my surgeon said he has had great success with treating people for diarrhea post gallbladder surgery for that same problem. That is only if you have that problem after your surgery. Hope this helps.

I had some of the same symptoms as you plus I had such a pain in my chest that I thought I was having a heart attack. I had the surgery and the recovery was not bad at all. I started feeling so much better when I could get up and walk around. I have never had any problems since the operation and now can eat anything I want which I could not do before the operation. Good luck and don't worry because it is a quick surgery and the recovery time is very rapid.

• Nano

I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery. I can't believe how easy it was. I had it on Wednesday and was back to work on Tuesday the following week. I could not even find the tiny incisions now if I had to. Before surgery I was having nausea, vomiting, pain in upper right quadrant and up into my shoulder blade. Now I still have to watch what I eat and take Bentyl for irritable bowel syndrom. Hopefully you will not have that problem.