Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

NFL Hall of Fame?

Do you think Cris Carter should have gotten into the Hall of Fame instead of Art Monk?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

He should, look and compare:

Cris Carter was 4 times All Pro, led the league in TD 3 times and once in receptions (compared to 3, 0 and 1 respectively by Monk). He was with Tim Brown the best receiver not named Jerry Rice.

Rings don't mean anything for this purposes. QBs get credit for winning championships, not wideouts.

Monk deserved to be in a long time ago, at some point he was the all time leader in receptions because he started before Rice. But Carter also retired as the 2nd best in yards and TD.

(EDIT)

Note that I'm not comparing only the numbers, because Monk started about 10 years before Carter and before some rules started to change to help the passing game develop.

• 1 decade ago

No, not instead of but Carter should also have gotten in. Chris will get in, next year or the next. Monk has been waiting almost 10 years. He was way over due so I don't mind seeing Carter wait another year if it means a deserving player like Monk gets in.

• 1 decade ago

Look at the numbers:

Cris Carter - 234 games, 1101 receptions, 13,899 yards.

Art Monk - 224 games, 940 receptions, 12,721 yards.

About 160 more receptions, and about 1100 more yards.

Cris definitely deserves to be there, but so does Art.

Art Monk undoubtedly was getting the raw end for some reason for a long time. He deserved to be in the Hall, just as much as the next great receiver. Monk played 224 games over 16 seasons and was a 3 time pro bowler. He had 940 catches for 12,721 yards and 68 tds. Career high was 106 catches (then a record) and 1372 yards, and 8 tds. Monk has gone over 1000 yards 5 times, he's gone over 880 yards (Lynn Swann's career high) 7 times. He's gone over 61 catches in a season (Swann's career high) 7 times. His receptions mark was #1 all time when he retired, and his yards was #2 all time when he retired. He now ranks 6th all time receptions, 11th in yards, 30th in rec. tds (was top 15 when retired), and 32nd is yards from scrimmage all time.

Cris will get there, it just wasn't his time.

• Aric G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Absolutely. You should not put one player into the Hall of Fame over another just because he waited longer. Chris Carter was a dominant wide receiver in this league for a long time.

I believe Art Monk was very good and very steady, but he is not on the same level of play as Chris Carter. He did happen to play on some Super Bowl winning teams, but he had very little to do with their Super Bowl wins.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • No doubt one Qualification you need to get into the NFL hall of fame is records and he had his fair share of those and still does he was way better than Art Monk who is a nobody compared to him; plus Cris Carter went to "The Ohio State University" and i'm what you call a superfan of the Buckeyes since day one

Source(s): + Football Guru
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Monk deserves it and has been passed over for a long time. I think Carter also deserves it and I'm sure he'll get in within the next couple of years.

• 4 years ago

Why? Just because he won a Superbowl? Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl. Should he go into the Hall of Fame when he retires? No he shouldn't. Williams was a average QB at best. He did have one of the best Superbowl performances off all time. But he does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

• Advice
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No. Monk has waited 8 or 9 ballots to get in, and this was Carter's first ballot. Carter will get in eventually though.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Monk should have been in the HOF a long time ago. And Yes Carter should be in the HOF as well.

• 1 decade ago

No. Art Monk should have been inducted a long time ago but wasn't. Carter should be inducted next year.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.