What is the difference between friendly banter and arguing?

Does the place one lives have an impact on how banter is perceived?

Best Answer

In my opinion, banter is what you do when you and whomever you are talking to are having fun, arguing is when not only do you not have fun, but you are trying to get your point of view across and the other person is telling you you're an idiot because they either can not or will not open their minds to another course of reference. Or you can't and are trying to force your opinion on them.

Friendly Banter

a lot of times I'd get into a chatroom where one person would call what was being said a "fight" while others called it an "argument" but more of a legal argument (both sides making points). Banter to me is an in-person friendly thing. Fighting comes with anger and maybe even hurt of some kind (like libel), and, arguing in a home could be like screaming, but the other kind of arguing is the one I enjoy doing and that's both sides bringing out points to be considered as in a school debate.

Yes, in a way, the place one lives (on or off the net) has an impact on how the different ways of discussing and chatting are perceived.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): difference friendly banter arguing: https://biturl.im/HU7QV

I don't know that it has anything to do with where one lives, other than different terms meaning something else in different areas of the world. You may insult someone without meaning to.

I think the main thing is you must know the person reasonably well for 'friendly' banter. You have to know how they will react to what's being said, so you don't get into an argument. Friends and I can 'banter' back and forth and know it's all in jest. Were we to say these things to others, it would most certainly lead to an argument.

There are times when people 'pretend' to be bantering to get THEIR point across and so the other person's angry reply doesn't seem justified.---Luvs

Generally it's in the eyes and the set of the jaw line!! Of course tone and volume have something to do with this too!!!

Banter is fun... arguing isn't!! Although I have known people who do love to argue and are not happy until they have goaded you into one! Having lived a good many places I can tell you that regions do make a difference in that what is and isn't acceptable behavior, even here in the U.S.!! Morals are geographical! A hard lesson that...

Hugs, Scoot

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/sYqRS

Not only we need to enjoy the banter, we need to learn that this is the original cricket rivalry and that's how leg pulling is supposed to be done. Seen our rivalry, reason why I could never call it the best, we don't have that culture or even the sense or sensibility to throw banter at each other in an educated manner. Here we get down to the basics & throw religious or personal muck, no mention of cricket anywhere. It is uplifting the atmosphere at YA for sure & we are looking forward, as this Ashes would ensure loads of dramas & leg pulling of the highest order. Good luck to both set of fans but IMO England fans know they are in the driver's seat in this edition at home..

If your engaged in friendly banter you agree to disagree. Arguing is just that! Neither person in the conversation can see the others point of view.

• Miz D

The difference is causing hurt feelings and anger versus causing laughter. Friends can tolerate a lot of verbal abuse in the name of humor. Don't you think our friends are not so gently making us quit taking ourselves so seriously? That's how I feel about friendly banter.

An argument is a difference of opinion that escalates to the point of anger.

Yelling and slapping! I think friendly banter can turn into argueing easily if one allows their feelings to enter into the picture. I don't know if location has anything to do with it, unless people in more crowded areas have quicker tempers, or if you can put any stock in the cliche that hot climates breed hot tempers.