what is the difference between the .270,7-mm,30-06,2.80 don't they all do the job?

which is truly best their all good high powered rifles but it is like comparing apples to apples isn't it? personally i like the 270. is it close to the rest also?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The .270 is an excellent long range round with very flat trajectory.

The 7mm has long been a Remington specialty (7mm-08, .280 Remington, 7mm Rem. Mag., 7mm STW). American shooters love velocity, and the 7mm RUM certainly offers that, with much less recoil than its .30-caliber counterpart.

The .30-06 is the most versatile round of the 4 you mentioned, you can get loads ranging from a 110 grain varmint load to a 220 grain solid capable of taking buffalo. Horse power wise, it has the most knockdown and ballistics wise most factory loads will push a 150 grain bullet(the most common load) somewhere around 2850 FPS depending on the bullet type and manufacturer. Trajectory wise it is no slouch either, a shooter that takes the time to learn his rifle/scope/load combination should have little problem connecting on deer sized targets at 400+ yards.

Im not too familiar with the 2.80??

Source(s): 25+ years Bow, rifle and Muzzle Loader hunting experience ex Military Sniper, Collector military assault rifles and Pistols, Class III firearms license Life Member NRA do your part to protect your 2nd Amendment right JOIN the NRA Today.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes, the .270 s close to all the rest.

You list 4 very similar chamberings, I could easily add 16 more to that list to make it an even 20. If God himself came down and struck 19 of those cartridges from the face of the earth, leaving only a single one, whatever it was, we'd all just be fine anyways.

But variety is the spice of life. Sometimes it is fun to be different. Sometimes some of these work just fine, but are a tiny bit better than some other in a small special way, and that is why they hang around.

Now, as far as your individual selection...the .270 has legions fo fans who swear it is better than a 30-06 (and vice versa) The .270 is the second most popular north american cartridge by sales volume, there is a reason for that, it is because it is GREAT. Unless you are going after grizz, you are sitting just fine by using that .270 on anything that moves.

Finally, in closing, for ALL chamberings, listed and unlisted, use the proper weight of bullet and proper designed bullet for the game you intend to hunt.

• 1 decade ago

Almost all of the calibers match up in terms of performace. When you say 7mm though, are you talking about the 7mm-08 or the 7mm Magnum? I prefer the 7mm-08 because the recoil is comfortable for me. However, the 7mm Magnum is a little bit more powerful than a .30-06, but the .30-06 has quite a bit more power than a .270 or a .280. You're right though, all the calibers you listed will easily drop a deer or elk with a precise shot.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If we were restricted to cartridges developed before World War I, we wouldn't really be any the worse off, but what's the fun in that?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they all are very efective killers the main deffernce is bullet and caseing size plus tragectory. look at a balistic chart and it will show you

• 1 decade ago

I would have to agree I prefer a .300 savage

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They do nothing without someone pulling the trigger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.