Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Don't you just hate it when people quote great men/women, but have no source to back it up?

I just saw some conservative quote the "10 cannots" to Abraham Lincoln. No source was listed because it is an urban legend. Abraham Lincoln never said it.

Lincoln, however did say this:

Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. Capital has its rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights...The error is in assuming that the whole labor of community exists within that relation. A few men own capital, and that few avoid labor themselves, and with their capital hire or buy another few to labor for them."

- Abraham Lincoln, First Annual Message to Congress, 1961

http://www.millercenter.virginia.edu/scripps/digit...

Update:

NON LINCOLN "YOU CANNOT" QUOTATION

"You cannot bring prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."

http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/sp...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Drives me crazy, but it's usually the rhetoric and rant folks that post such drivel. So consider the source.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, but at least most people have stopped attributing the liberal/conservative quote to Churchill.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

74% of statistics are made up on the spot!

Source(s): Who cares, its all propaganda anyway!
  • Abu#2
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I hate it more when people nitpick others to artificially inflate their status in life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

um....what? You smarter than I.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.