Help with the 3 hour Glucose Test and Gestational Diabetes?

I just found out that I failed my one hour glucose test. I knew it was going to happen but after reading one person's experience on how her life changed with Gestational Diabetes, I am terrified. I am wondering who all failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour test. I am also wondering how your life changed with Diabetes. I am scared to death. I can't even look when I get poked, even for the iron prick. I just can't give myself shots. Any help???

This is my 4th pregnancy with no problems with my other pregnancies.

Favorite Answer

It is not uncommon to "fail" the one hour glucose tolerance test yet do fine with the 3 hour test. I know many women who did it that way, but I am not one of them. I had Gestational Diabetes with my 4th pregnancy (also no problems with 1-3) and I assure you that it can be managed with careful attention to diet, regular blood testing, and monitoring by your doctor. Some women do require medication (many do not), but it does not always have to come in the form of a shot. The daily finger poking (I had to do it 4 times a day) to test your blood is no fun, but the monitors available today are quite good at monitoring with a smaller drop of blood and the lancet devices don't seem to be as pain-causing as they used to be. Having Gestational Diabetes did not change my life too much. It made me have to be more conscious of what I was eating, not a bad thing, but sometimes difficult to make good choices. I also had to go to the doctor more frequently. At 32 weeks, I began a weekly jaunt to the hospital where I was a patient at the high-risk diabetic OB clinic. I would have a regular pre-natal appointment followed by a visit with the diabetic nurse who would review my testing numbers and tweak my diet if needed. Then it was up to the diagnostic clinic for a non-stress test and an ultrasound. There are 3 types of diabetes. Type 1, which used to be called juvenile diabetes is something that is a life-long condition, not curable, only manageable. Gestational Diabetes is a result of pregnancy hormones causing insulin to not be as efficient. Once the baby (actually the placenta as that is what makes the hormones) is born, Gestational Diabetes is gone in most cases. In the hospital, both my baby and I were blood tested several times to check our blood glucose numbers. We both were fine. Larger than normal birth weight is a possible side effect of Gestational Diabetes, but my baby was born at 41 weeks and only weighed 6 pounds, 14 ounces, actually the smallest of my 4 kids. Moms who have had GD are at an increased risk for developing Type 2 diabetes which can be called adult-onset diabetes. Because of this, your doctor may opt to screen you as you get older. My youngest is now 10 and last year I was diagnosed with Glucose Intolerance, which is a pre-diabetic condition. I am now following a meal plan that is quite similar to the one I followed when I had Gestational Diabetes. I understand how you feel as I was very scared when my doctor first diagnosed me with Gestational Diabetes. I was not familiar with it. It helped me a lot, and I think you'll benefit, too, to read through all the literature your doctor gives you, ask questions, and do some research. Gaining knowledge helps quiet the unease with anything unknown. Relax a bit and wait to see what happens with the 3 hour test. Be sure to fast the appropriate length of time they say as eating (or drinking) too close to the test can skew the results.

You could still pass the 3 hr test. I failed the one hour but for some reason no one in my doctor's office caught the result. I ended up being hospitalized twice before one of the docs went through my chart and realized that I didn't pass the first test. I was already 32 weeks or so at this point. I ended up having to give myself insulin shots 3 times a day. If it had been caught sooner I probably would have been able to manage the gestational diabetes with a proper diet. I cried the very first time I had to give myself an insulin shot. It did get easier, I just kept thinking this was all for the baby. I never,ever thought I would be able to stick a needle in my arm. You will be amazed at what you can do to keep that baby inside of you healthy. The gestational diabetes did go away after I had my daughter and she was fine also. I will keep my fingers crossed for a good result for the 3 hr test.

1

Source(s): Reverse Any Diabetes Easily : http://diabetescure.raiwi.com/?Qbba

2

Source(s): Secrets To Reverse Diabetes : http://diabetesgofar.com/?hJAy

my sister in-law failed her 1 hr. and had to take the three hour and passed but said it was excruciating to have to be there that long . and most women who get gestational diabetes only have it for the pregnancy it goes away after you give birth and all that, I know they put you on a special diet and fluid restrictions if you test positive but I've heard that it's not that bad just do what your Doc. says and you should be fine. by the way my sister in law passed her other two pregnancy's fine but on her third is when she had the problem but her three hour test came back neg. for diabetes. GL with everything! PS i know it's hard but try not to eat anything leading up to the tet and if you do make it raw veggies or a hard boiled egg something that doesnt turn into sugar right away breads and carbs are bad,

I had to have the 3 hour test as well. The results from that were fine, so just because you have to go for it doesn't mean you do have gestational diabetes. Don't worry about this until you get the results back and if it turns out you do have it this time ask your doctor for as much information as you can get.

My friend failed both glucose tests and just had to control her diabetes by dieting. She didn't have to give herself shots but she did have to test 7 times a day. You could pass the 3-hour test. Make sure you fast and the day before eat really healthy foods without a lot of carbs or sugars and that will help you. Good luck!

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDDpB

I did! I failed my one hour, so I had to take the three hour. I was freaking out, but I passed with flying colors. According to my doctor, only 15% of women who fail the one-hour test actually have gestational diabetes--which means that 85% of women don't! So try not to worry--chances are good that you don't have gestational diabetes at all. Good luck!

Forget anything you have ever been told about Diabetes.

And get this - it has NOTHING to do with insulin, exercise, diet or anything else you've heard in the past.

It's all based on latest breakthrough research that Big Pharma is going Stir Crazy to hide from you.

Visit Here : http://diabetemiracle.com/ To Find Out What All The Fuss Is About.

With the newer types of insulin these days, diabetic diets aren't necessarily as restrictive as they used to be. Read here https://tr.im/n8mVb

As with any medicine or diet change, you should discuss it with your doctor. Fruits, both fresh and dried, have a natural sugar in them that will raise blood sugar levels, so be careful about eating too much. Not sure about the nuts. Moderation is always the key. I've been diabetic for 18 years and just recently changed insulin types. I love it because it gives me more freedom in when and what I eat.