Mystery writers?

I'm familiar with Mary Higgins Clark, Patricia Cornwell, Margaret Truman, Sue Grafton, Gwendoline Butler, Andrew Greeley, Sharyn McCrumb, Agatha Christie, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I also know that Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, and J.D. Robb write mysteries though Robb's are futuristic.

Of course, for kids there are the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Trixie Beldon books.

Can anyone add other mystery writers? Nothing in fantasy/science fiction please just straight mystery.

If you can name specific books that would be great.

Thanks so much for your help.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some other deceased classic mystery writers include Margery Allingham, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy L. Sayers and Patricia Wentworth, though none are as good as Agatha Christie in my opinion.

A lesser known mystery writer of past times who I am very fond of is Stuart Palmer, his 'Miss Withers' series is excellent.

Some contemporary mystery writers I like include M.C. Beaton, whose Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin series I enjoy very much, Maddy Hunter's amusing 'Passport to Peril' series, and Alexander MacCall Smith, who writes the wonderful Mma Ramotswe series, set in Botswana. And of course Janet Evanovich's hilarious Stephanie Plum series.

Some writers of period murder mysteries include Ellis Peters (the Brother Cadfael series) Margaret Frazer (Sister Frevisse series) Peter Tremayne (Sister Fidelma series), and Paul Doherty (several different medieval series). Marilyn Todd writes the 'I, Claudia' series, set in ancient Rome.

• 1 decade ago

Try the following:

Raymond Chandler...no-one better: All of hbis books

Dashiell Hammet: Mal;tese Falcon

Ross MacDonald: Far side of the Dollar

Robert Crais: The Two Minute RuleRidley Pearson

Brad Meltzer;Tenth Justice

Stephen White :Blinded

James Patterson

Richard North Patterson

Michael Connelly: Echo Park

Terry Brejla (Me): Senator's Son

• 1 decade ago

Lee Child

Barry Eisler

Stella Cameron

Tess Gerritsen

Karin Slaughter

Lisa Gardener

Patricia Lewin

• 1 decade ago

Michael Connelly is one of the best out there. But go back to the beginning of the Harry Bosch Series to The Black Echo. Dean Koontz is also great. So are Daniel Silva and Steve Berry. And nothing beats Dashiell Hammett - 40's Detective Noir fiction is awesome. My work is heavily influenced by that style. Pax-C

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are way too many to name. Here are a few

Hannah Swensen Mysteries by Joanne Fluke

Southern Sister Mysteries by Anne George

Dick Francis (Dead Heat)

Robert B Parker (Now and Then)

Women's Murder Club by James Patterson

Kay Scarpetta Mysteries by Patricia Cornwell

Faye Kellerman (Straight into Darkness)

• 1 decade ago

Ok, this is a series.

The books are pretty short, but very addicting.

I just finished them a couple months ago.

Very exciting and lively books.

Here they are:

Chasing the Falconers

The Fugitive Factor

Now You See Them, Now You Don't

The Stowaway Solution

Public Enemies

Hunting the Hunter

All by Gordon Korman.

He also has several other books simalar to these if you go to this website below.

I havent read the others, but i will soon! =D

• 1 decade ago

Elizabeth George. Many people think she's the best genre writer (of any genre) writing in the English language today.

A Great Deliverance is the first book in her Inspector Lynley series.

• 1 decade ago

Ngaio Marsh is one of my favorite mystery writers. I also like PD James and Ian Rankin. Although they all have very different styles the mysteries are great. Good luck to you.

• jensen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

do you already know that John Dickson Carr additionally wrote multiple books under the call of Carter Dickson. The Albert Campion novels with the aid of Margery Allingham are magnificent nevertheless some are slightly marvelous. Edmund Crispin - his detective Gervase Fen an eccentric Oxford professor. those books too are fairly whacky. i could additionally advise Josephine Tey.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.