My 2 1/2 yr old son isnt potty training???

My son who is 2 1/2, doesnt tell me when he has to potty or even when he has went in his diaper. I've been working on this for the last 6 months, but I'm trying not to push him too hard or punish him for not telling me he needs to go. He has no problem wearing a soiled diaper, I have to check him periodically to even know he needs a diaper change. I sit him on the potty all the time even if he says he doesnt need to go, and he will sit there for a bit and not go no matter how much encouraging I give him or even if I leave him alone to do his business. A lot of the time, as soon as I get him off the potty he immediately goes in his pull-up/diaper. It just seems as if he doesnt care and Im never going to get him potty trained. I dont want him to be behind the other children in his age group, and I would love for him to be out of diapers before I have another baby. Any advice??

He is always very excited to sit on the potty like a big boy. So I'm not MAKING him do anything, I suggest it.

Favorite Answer

For my son, he gained control over his bladder by standing to pee because he could watch and see what pushing worked and what did not. I found a great stool that he uses at the toilet and he can hold on while he stands. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

Once he starts going in the toilet, keep him in underwear during the day so he stays motivated to use the toilet.

Hope this helps.

I keep children in my home and have faced this problem with children as old as 3 1/2. Here's my advice:

1. You're right not to push him....you don't want it to be a negative experience. If he does go in the potty, praise, praise, praise!

2. Ditch the pull ups. They're just like a diaper and absorb the moisture of the urine, etc., so the physical discomfort of being wet isn't an issue. Put some big boy underwear on him and see how that goes. You may be changing his clothes frequently for awhile (and doing laundry), but he'll feel the discomfort of being wet in real underwear and should get the idea much faster. Plus, he might like the idea of wearing big boy underwear :)

I did this with a boy that was almost 4 yrs old. It worked immediately and after 1 week, he was completely potty trained....

Hope this helps!

I agree with the folks who've said he may just not be ready yet. The other thing to consider is the timing of putting him on the potty. A few minutes after a drink of juice, or after meals is the best time, since things are already working in your favor in terms of him needing to go.

Buy some children's books on potty-time as well, and read them with him to get him in the right mindset.

I do also think that the people who suggested ditching the pullups are onto something. If there's no discomfort, there's no reason for him to notice he's gone. With cloth diapers or underpants, he'll notice right away.

• samira

I don't think he is really ready yet. Keep asking him if he wants to go and just keep doing what your doing. Doesn't sound like your pushing so it's fine.

When my son was almost 4 and not potty trained I was very nervous and my pediatrician said I would be surprised at how many kids weren't potty trained till sometime after their 4rth birthday (usually boys)

they just have to be ready. I waited and waited and waited for my son to be ready! I was getting really nervous! FINALLY a few days before he turned 4 he decided he was ready and had a couple of accidents the first few days and hasn't had an accident since! He is 5 now.

One thing that helped (once you feel like he cares or you feel he is more ready) was to I let my son run around naked for a few days. I watched him very closely and could see when he was getting ready to pee. I would rush over and stick the potty chair under the pee stream (no-i didn't get it all) and then praised him for peeing in the potty! That made him proud, but like I said-It didn't work till he was ready.

dont stress, honey. =0)

Boys usually potty train much later than girls and it takes quite a bit of patience on your part. Try to make it fun for him. I was a nanny and I used to give the boys a reward for going. 1 m&m for pee & 2 for a poop job. If you are at home, try running some water for them from the faucet(seriously!) it works. Also, I never sat there and waited for them. I just let them do it on their own & tell me when they had finished. Sometimes the pressure is just too much with you right there. You also have to be really calm & positive. If you are anxious/nervous/frustrated, they will definitely pick up on that. Always, always praise them in a big way for going in the potty, but try not to scold if they don't or have an accident.

I watched a dvd and it said children can sense how you are feeling and not to put a deadline on pottytraining. Sometimes they just arn't ready and as soon as you accept this he might do it in a week. Just stop for a week and then try again. I once told my daughter off for weeing next to her potty and shes only just started potty training again after 6 months. If there are changes going on in the house this will make him feel stressed out, rule number 1 in potty training is wait till they are ready, rule number 2 is dont force them just be patient, rule 3 be kind, rule 4 dont have a deadline and rule 5 don't kill them although it might be tempting.

Be blessed

Alana

My neighbor, a mother of 4 boys, suggested to me that I not "try" to potty train my son. She said to just leave him alone and he will potty train himself.

I trusted her, so I left him alone, only encouraging him (verbally) to use the toilet or wear underpants.

Both of my sons potty trained themselves. My older one was 16 months and found going to the toilet to be a really fun thing. My younger son was a little older than 3. He told me that he liked his diaper and wanted to keep it. Then, one day, he wanted to wear "big boy underpants". And that was the end of diapers. Just like that.

Boys seem to need more time. Perhaps encourage your little boy, but take the focus off of the toilet training and see if he'll take it from there.

my doctor told me that babies who wear cloth diapers potty train sooner. because all the disposable diapers keep the moisture AWAY from the skin, babies don't care if the diaper is wet. with the cloth diapers, they FEEL the wetness. it makes them want the diaper off. if you want to try it, go for it. she says it usually takes a few days, and it'll work. she potty-trained ALL 3 of her kids that way in a few days.

good luck!

bribes... a.k.a stickers... buy lots of stickers and put up a potty board... tell him he gets a sticker when he goes potty like a big boy, and then after the paper gets all filled up he gets a surprise. Get lots of different kinds of stickers so he can choose which one he wants to put on his "board"

It sounds like he may not be ready yet. Boys potty train later sometimes, it's no big deal. My oldest was 3 before he was potty trained.