What percentage of welfare recipients do you think abuse the system?

By that I mean they use their public assistance money for something other than food, shelter, transportation, clothing and other necessary things. People are always saying that welfare recipients abuse they system by buying stuff that's not a necessity - yeah there IS abuse but I know plenty of people who... show more By that I mean they use their public assistance money for something other than food, shelter, transportation, clothing and other necessary things.

People are always saying that welfare recipients abuse they system by buying stuff that's not a necessity - yeah there IS abuse but I know plenty of people who have hungry kids, have to scrounge for clothes, etc.

What do you think is the level of abuse?
Update: To libstick; links are disabled today for some reason. Investigations are initiated when someone is already suspected of abuse - no?
Update 2: To MattA; Just because they requested to be on the toy drive didn't mean they were on public assistance.
Update 3: To noocular steve; not a bad idea.