Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Antibiotic question for you: do you think it's better for someone's immune system to handle an infection..

or take antibiotics...

I would venture to say that it's better to not take antibiotics and let someones body defenses take care of an infection. And use antibiotics as a last resort. here's my reasoning, If you let the immune system take care of the infection, then the body's defenses will have created antibodies for that infection and will be able to take care of that bacteria if it occurs in the future. If you use antibiotics, you'll temporarily take care of the infection, but might get it again since your body hasn't built immunity to it....

is this reasoning correct? is it generally better for one's body to take care of itself and to use medicine as a "last resort"? Thanks..

Favorite Answer

You are right. Overuse of antibiotics is really what hurts people in the long run. People save leftover antibiotics and use them later for something they may really not need antibiotics for.

Luckily there are different types of antibiotics. I'm allergic to Penicillin, so when I had a UTI a few months back, I was on erithromycin. Without it, my UTI would probably have developed into a full blown kidney infection, and I would have ended up in the ER. So there is no way in hell anyone should forego antibiotics for certain infections.

But, for something like the cold or flu, antibiotics don't do an ounce of good, but yet people still request them and take them...I'll never understand that.

Source(s): I work in a pharmacy
  • Tammy

Many doctors are reluctant to prescribe antibiotics because over time the body becomes immune to them, hence stronger ones required. That is the reason we have infections such as MRSA, because we are ALL becoming immune to antibiotics through over-use. As long as the infection is not life threatening I feel it is better to allow the body to develop its' own antibodies to various infections.

• struss

in the journey that your rfile prescribed an antibiotic for then you, sure, take it. Sinus infections are frequently bacterial in nature, which calls for an antibiotic. Your immune device will attempt to combat it off yet, it could in ordinary terms do a lot with a sinus an infection. Antibodies defend us against specific viral ailments yet, with bacterial infections, our white blood cells will attempt to kill off micro organism plus, we are able to journey a fever by way of fact our physique warmth is attempting to injury the germ. yet, as quickly as you have an entire blown sinus an infection, antibiotics are mandatory. be advantageous which you end the whole direction of antibiotic therapy. do no longer supply up it once you start to sense greater useful.this could reason the an infection to return and then, finally, the germ/micro organism will grow to be proof against antibiotics. i wish that it is useful and which you sense greater useful quickly.

I agree with you - however, on occasion, prescriptions are a necessary evil. Unfortunately, there are too many side effects with them.

I believe that you can HELP your body's immune system by giving it the necessary nutrition needed. Afterall, Adam and Eve didn't have pharmacies, right? If you supplement your healthy diet with the necessary minerals and vitamins, then your immune system SHOULD function the way that it was designed in the first place.

Source(s): www.gojihealthappeal.com

Do not take antibiotics unless you really need it ( for infections). If you take it too frequent, your body may not work on the regular dosage any more.

You nailed it. but be careful some times antibiotics is the best answer. for example pneumonia. you should always take antibiotics for that.

yes what is the question?we all know this,that's why we have a large amt. of infections that are not sensitive to antibiotics.