Does the LDS church help people who aren't members?

My family is going through kind of a rough time right now. I'm kind of desperate. I've been putting off asking the church to help for lots of reasons, one of the big ones being that most of the help I need would be for my dad's benefit immediately(he's not a member), and I'm not even really sure... show more My family is going through kind of a rough time right now. I'm kind of desperate. I've been putting off asking the church to help for lots of reasons, one of the big ones being that most of the help I need would be for my dad's benefit immediately(he's not a member), and I'm not even really sure how to begin to ask. I hate doing stuff like that.

Could you give me a basic general idea of what i should do first? I feel weird cause I'm in the singles ward, and my bishop is the stake president, so our sacrament service is his last one. Plus I hate to burden him on short notice, and I don't even have the guts right now to mention anything. Also, they don't know me very well, and I don't want them to think I'm taking advantage because of that.

Anyway. Yeah. Any advice or supportive words would help tremendously. I've been praying constantly....and this is what i have.

(if you are my contact, you can e-mail me for details, I don't want to put it here.)
Update: And please, no mormon bashing... I wouldn't do it to you. That would be really uncool.
Update 2: ((((( PMF CIB!)))))

thanks for the wishes. :) And it's okay, lol.
Update 3: They don't know me very well because I haven't been living in this area for very long. I just moved here to go to school. It has more to do with that than attendance.