wayne b asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

I heard the NY Giants being called the World Champion......Shouldn't they be called National Champs?

I thought to be World Champions, you have to beat other teams from other countries.....????

Best Answer

Well Americans only care about Americans, so America is the world. Unless some other foreign country has oil that is.

The college championship is the National Champs. They Giants would kick the crap out of any team from any other country.

your partially right, the proper term should be league champions, after all we are talking about the NFL (the national football league) and not the world football league,soccer is more of the world wide sport. and it to is consider as football, and it encompasses teams from around the world.

The NFL ( and american football for that matter ) only exists in the U.S. ( and to some extent Canada ) ( NFL Europa was cancelled ), so they are " World Champions "

well if they were world champions, then they would be the best in the world. so even though there aren't any other coutnries (except canada) that play american football professionally, then they are the best in the world.

you know how we Americans are:)

I mean we play the "world series" in baseball every year which is between the two best teams in the American and national leagues.

Source(s): I LOVE AMERICA!!!!

Well, when those expansion franchises in Toronto, Mexico City and London start playing, then it'll be perfectly appropriate...

Seriously, is this a real question?

ha i hate how america does that with sports.

we cant beat other countries in basketball or baseball and yet we still call it world championships.

although i couldnt see any other country beating us in football

but i could be wrong

Thats odd...same exact question asked alittle while ago.. I would think the bandwagon would delegate who is going to post a question ahead of time..

• Darren

LSU might get upset if you take the title from them.