where did the phrase 'he's such a ham." come from?

We say that all the time about my kids at work when they see a camera and they totally put on an act for it. But I all of a sudden wondered today where that came from.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

According to Dictionary.com:

Ham: noun or, verb, hammed, ham·ming.

–noun 1. an actor or performer who overacts.

Origin: 1880–85; short for hamfatter, after The Hamfat Man, a black minstrel song celebrating an awkward man

2. an operator of an amateur radio station.

–verb (used without object), verb (used with object) 3. to act with exaggerated expression of emotion; overact.

—Idiom4. ham it up, to overact; ham.

• 4 years ago

Hams Urban Dictionary

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It all originates from an 18th century half man/half ham who would frequent the pubs of old London Town.

His name was Steve Pork, and he had human legs and arms and a huge ham for a body.

When he would get over drunk and abuse people, the locals would say "he's such a ham".

Source(s): The Life and Times of Steve Pork, London Associoated Press (1926), by John Fitzgerald/
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Well I'm Asian, my name is HaeJung and I'm pretty used to names like: Min-Hee Iksun Seung-Hyun Kibum etc. If you asked me, names like Kendra, Ashley, John, Chad and sh** like that aren't normal names. White people are so freaking low, you're below us, so how do you have the nerve to talk about other people. Asians dominate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Ham was Noah's son. Noah cursed Ham's son Canaan, when Ham saw Noah naked.

• 1 decade ago

It came from the stage, an actor would over-act and they called him a ham.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It sounds like Hamlet!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.