Ashley Korn asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

hypoallergic cats...Do they exist?

Hi, my name is Ashley Korn. My sister Shauna Korn and I are looking to get a cat. I have had animals all my life and I would love to get a cat... the only problem is that I need a hypoallergetic one. Do they really exist? Where can I find one? How much do they cost? Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

Hairless cats are not hypoallergenic because it is very often not the hair that a person is allergic to. What most people are allergic to is a protein in the cat's saliva called Fel D1. So when the cat grooms itself, which all cats do, hairless or not, its saliva will dry, turn into microscopic dander, and there you have allergies! It is said that altered (spayed or neutered) animals have less of this protein in their saliva and that females generally have lower amounts of it. Your best bet would be to get a fixed female cat. But it would still cause an allergic reaction in very sensitive people.

If the person with allergies lives in the same house, keep the cat out of that person's bedroom and out of their closet/clothes storage area. Get a HEPA air filter. When you dust, vacuum, or do any dander-raising cleaning, do it while the allergic person is not home, and allow as much time as possible for whatever is stirred up to re-settle. Have the allergic person take a 24-hour allergy pill, if possible.

If you are worried about allergic visitors, suggest they take allergy medication just prior to coming or meet them other places than your home (this is what I do).

I hope it works out for you!

• Anne K

I think the answer is no, although it may depend on the person and the individual cat. There is a very nice man who brings his 2 daughters to the cat shelter at which I volunteer. His wife is very allergic to cats. They have tried Siberians, which breeders claim are hypoallergenic, but it made no difference. I am including a link to a very informative and helpful article about cat allergens and breeds. If you really want a cat, and these suggested breeds still cause allergies, you could try allergy shots. I had a coworker whose wife was a vet and they had 3 cats. My coworker received allergy shots so that he could live with the cats. Purebred cats usually cost at least $400. Show quality cats cost more, pet quality cats may cost less. You could check with breed rescue groups. You might find a needy cat for less money. Good luck!

Justice for Palestine must come first. Stealing land, water, resources, roads and creating an apartheid society in the Middle east does not make Israel a priority.

sort of,

if you are allergic to the cats FUR then a hairless cat.

OR you could get a cat from allerca.

they have created a perfectly normal looks adorable, hypo-allergenic cats.

seriously, check it out

The sphynx is a hairless cat. I do think the are hard to find and cost somewhere around $1200 last time I checked.

Supposedly this company has produced the first scientifically hypo-allergenic cat. They start at $7900!!! That is a little stiff for me.....I'll stick to my Maltese (dog) that was only $800!!!

http://www.allerca.com/

Yea they do exist they are call troties I own 1

Source(s): Vet tech
  • Get a hairless cat .... of if you haven't got the money get a regular one and just shave it. Good luck hun!!!