How to unfreeze car lock??

it rained and snowed here last night so the ice has my lock frozen on my car. i can put the key in the lock and turn it but it wont unlock. i have a 2 door and both locks wont allow me to unlock the doors since its frozen. how can i unfreeze my lock so i can turn the key to open the door?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Heat the keys.

• 4 years ago

Frozen Car Door Lock

• 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axS3W

Using WD40 is something hardly anybody does.(they should though) Water Displacement40. So it gets rid of water. water freezes. WD40 is also a lubricant which all key locks need every once in a while. That even goes for the house doors. Your locks are buggered now. This will make it function like a brand new car. The parts that make up a door lock are metal and metal rusts. When you take a lock to the locksmith, the first thing he uses is WD40.....then charges you 20 bucks. Give it a short squirt. And then do all the other locks (including the ignition)

• mandi
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Frozen Car Lock

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to unfreeze car lock??

it rained and snowed here last night so the ice has my lock frozen on my car. i can put the key in the lock and turn it but it wont unlock. i have a 2 door and both locks wont allow me to unlock the doors since its frozen. how can i unfreeze my lock so i can turn the key to open the door?

Source(s): unfreeze car lock: https://shortly.im/MN3ee
  • 1 decade ago

Walk to your car and with a cig lighter, heat the key and then put it in the keyhole. Do that several times. It should unfreeze the lock.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you can put the key in the lock and TURN it, it may be that it isn't the lock that is frozen but the door HINGE! Used to happen with a car I had a few years ago.....Re boiling water....it's not really good for the paint on your car when it's freezing cold and you hit it with boiling water....besides, it's a good way to get water IN the lock, which will freeze in a short time!!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Boil hot water then take the pan outside and put your car key(s) in it for a minute. That will heat the car key and not melt it. Once the key is hot enough, put it in the cylinder to unfreeze enough so you can unlock your door.

Source(s): Tried it today when temperature was -10 Farenheit.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can buy lock de-icer spray. An old trick is to warm the key up with a lighter before putting it in the lock, but don't do this if your key has electronics built in.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Try pouring warm/hot water. If you use the lubricant it might help, because it is more difficult for the lubricant to freeze (it is oil based). Since it is lubricant, it won´t harm your locks and definetly not your alarm.

• oldguy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

if you need to, get a lighter and heat the key befor you stick it in the lock. you might have to do it a couple of times to defrost the lock

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.