How to unfreeze car lock??

it rained and snowed here last night so the ice has my lock frozen on my car. i can put the key in the lock and turn it but it wont unlock. i have a 2 door and both locks wont allow me to unlock the doors since its frozen. how can i unfreeze my lock so i can turn the key to open the door?

Favorite Answer

Heat the keys.

Frozen Car Door Lock

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axS3W

Using WD40 is something hardly anybody does.(they should though) Water Displacement40. So it gets rid of water. water freezes. WD40 is also a lubricant which all key locks need every once in a while. That even goes for the house doors. Your locks are buggered now. This will make it function like a brand new car. The parts that make up a door lock are metal and metal rusts. When you take a lock to the locksmith, the first thing he uses is WD40.....then charges you 20 bucks. Give it a short squirt. And then do all the other locks (including the ignition)

• mandi

Frozen Car Lock

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to unfreeze car lock??

Source(s): unfreeze car lock: https://shortly.im/MN3ee

Walk to your car and with a cig lighter, heat the key and then put it in the keyhole. Do that several times. It should unfreeze the lock.

If you can put the key in the lock and TURN it, it may be that it isn't the lock that is frozen but the door HINGE! Used to happen with a car I had a few years ago.....Re boiling water....it's not really good for the paint on your car when it's freezing cold and you hit it with boiling water....besides, it's a good way to get water IN the lock, which will freeze in a short time!!

Boil hot water then take the pan outside and put your car key(s) in it for a minute. That will heat the car key and not melt it. Once the key is hot enough, put it in the cylinder to unfreeze enough so you can unlock your door.

Source(s): Tried it today when temperature was -10 Farenheit.

You can buy lock de-icer spray. An old trick is to warm the key up with a lighter before putting it in the lock, but don't do this if your key has electronics built in.

Try pouring warm/hot water. If you use the lubricant it might help, because it is more difficult for the lubricant to freeze (it is oil based). Since it is lubricant, it won´t harm your locks and definetly not your alarm.

• oldguy

if you need to, get a lighter and heat the key befor you stick it in the lock. you might have to do it a couple of times to defrost the lock