Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Little help here, how do you handle a deep cut that wont stop bleeding?

I was slicing veggies for a salad and was guilty of not thinking. Well these days I am so broke that I really can not pay attention. So I cut deep into my thumb, almost to the bone. Now I wrapped the thumb after washing it, but the blood is seeping through the bath towel and it is throbbing now.

Whew, I am starting to feel light-headed, I think I will go and lay down now.

Favorite Answer

If you wouldn't mind collecting the drainage in a glass container and shipping it to me, I could use a drink.

Get yourself to an emergency room pronto! A deep wound like that can lead to infection, tetanus and severe blood loss if it doesn't stop. Tie the finger off with a rubber band or string (below the wound), use some styptic powder (caution it will sting like hell) but it'll try to stop the bleeding or cold water and ice. Keep it elevated too. But most importantly go to the nearest emergency room immediately. Have someone drive you or if not, call emergency services. Go now!

Source(s): Cut my finger to the bone with a box cutter a long time ago.
  • You have to apply pressure to the cut and hold your Hand up until the bleeding stops, I remember an old remedy my Dad used to do to us when we were Kids, he would go and find an old Spider Web, get it and apply that to the cut, and you know that always did the trick, of course when you are small you trust your Dad with your Life, but I guess that remedy was used through generations because it always work.

I would not do that to my Kids, since we have the Doctors, or medicines to control any ailment we suffer.

Source(s): none.
  • JerZey

DID you compression wrap it? Is it elevated? ( to make the blood flow away from the wound) I cut my thumb deeply, nearly to the bone and I didn't wash it, I immediately wrapped it tight and squeezed it. I managed to get the cut to seal itself shut. I have a scar, but it did not bleed through the gauze. I don't think you wrapped it tight enough. Please stop looking at it, as the air hitting makes it hurt and makes you feel faint.

Just apply pressure and depending how much your bleeding it will probably take around 10-20 minutes to stop bleeding.

If your still dripping blood go to the hospital for stitches

Rest, Elevate and Direct Pressure.

Seriously, if it's that deep..stitches time. Use a bit of ice too, will constrict the blood flow and help ease the throbbing.

Source(s): former medic

Lestermount

Drink some orange juice, or go eat some red meat..

Wrap it tightly and put it above your head or heart, whichever one it is. And I'm pretty sure you know that if it doesn't stop.. time for stitches!

Good luck

And nice one --so broke you can't pay attention. :P

Simple.. i nearly whacked my little finger off.. spent hours in the ER... and then mr doctor came in and low and behold he seared it off with damned super glue.. I thought u AH...is that all it needed?? SUper glue is as good as duck tape.. reminds me i need to buy some super glue tomorrow.. never know when i will whack something of mine..No stitches required.. and i am still using my little finger.. comes in handy with diggin out things ..LOL

Run it under cold water, wrap tightly and get to the hospital for stitches!! That's an order!! Been there and done that~~want to compare scars?? xoxo

Keep it wrapped up and hold it above your head. If it doesn't stop inb a while go to the hospital and have stitches.

Good luck!