Are divorced/remarried folks going to hell?

I am told as a gay man, that I am going to hell for my "supposed" sin, unless I turn from the sin.

So, what about the divorced/remarried folks, they too are going to hell, unless they turn from their sin by remaining celibate? Correct?

Matthew 5:32, " anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 19:9 states the same thing

Luke 16:18 same thing

1 Corinthians 6:9 says homosexuals AND adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of God.

So, considering the divorce rate is over 50% in our country...why aren't the religious folks railing against this sin.

This is over 50% of our country doomed for eternity in hell unless they turn from their sin by remaining celibate. I think you fundies need to start preaching the word...dontcha think?

Best Answer

good question!!simple reason.....christians modify and twist

the bible to make it more practical.

the bible tells us to kill people of other faith,people working on sabath.Are any christians practising the bible literally?maybe in the middle ages(witch burnings)but not in this age of science and reason...

i predict the christian faith will evolve its attitude towards homosexuals in the next decade

• ?

Very good point, but go back to Matthew 5:32 and read (except for) see there are some given reasons for divorce.

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. you, me, and every one on this earth.

There will most likely be much more then 50% of this country that will not see the Kingdom of God. The question is will you see the Kingdom of God?

• Not according to those who use the Bible to promote homophobia. As long as the divorced person works to remove civil rights from gay American taxpaying citizens, all other sins are ignored. This not only makes the false prophet leaders richer, it gives their followers the false hope that they are doing something good. In reality, by harming others, they are sinning and we know where God sends sinners.

Well the person who marries a divorced person isn't committing adultery but the Bible does say that basically if you don't have a biblically sound reason for the divorce than it is a sin just like homosexuality because all sin is equally bad no matter the sin. But that doesn't mean your going to hell, if the sinner of these sins were to pray and ask God for forgiveness he freely forgives and wipes that sin away.

I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me. Then this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it.'

Jeremiah 33:8,9 NIV

I'm unsure of other religions, but the Catyholic faith states that you can recieve a divorce, however, it is technically only a separation, and in the eyes of the church remarrying is adultery.

Homosexuality, according to church doctrine, is not in itself a sin. However, for men, it is considered a sin to engage in sexual relations with another man. This is why, technically, the church accepts homosexuals, but asks them to remain celibate.

I know many people that forget one other part of church teachings (this goes for the fundies and everyone else) This part is the one where God offers forgiveness to anyone who asks.

I hope this helps you understand the Catholic faith better. I myself am not Catholic, though I was raised as so and attended classes until I was eighteen.

Now that you know how many are sinners, know that you too were once like them.Read Matthew 13:18-30 about the farmer and know that Jesus Christ himself will separate the wheat from the tares at the end of the age. All you can do is be like Christ and spread the seed. We don't tear up the weeds lest we pull up the wheat by mistake.

It does get preached! Matter of fact, you did a rather fair job of it yourself, considering the veiled self-justification attempt. The first verse you quoted offers the only "out" (pardon the pun) for divorce in that abuse/adultery is the only thing God will tolerate as an excuse for getting one.

I don't think anyone wants a divorce, I think that it's just one of those things that happens. I don't think anyone will go to hell for being honest with themselves and their spouses. Most marriages that end, end for a good reason.

Nope, Because I got my first marriage annulled on the grounds of abuse and abandonment.

• TTAGGG

You only go to hell if you do not believe in Jesus.

It is in this earth that you have suffer from your sin.

BTW, if the Bible say gay is wrong, then it is not up to me to make it right. So don't blame me for saying this.