Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

Concerning potty training my stubborn daughter?

My daughter is 25 months old and doesn't seem to have much interest in potty training.

I also feel that she may not be ready physically. When I tried before just putting underwear on her, when she had an accident she seemed surprised about it. She isn't speaking a lot so she doesn't have the words to tell me she needs to go.

I do feel for the most part that she is ready emotionally. She hates having a dirty diaper and most of the time if I'm not paying attention she will take her diaper off right after she has went. She has also started to dislike wearing diapers and will take them off and put clothes back on any chance she gets.

I also get the feeling that she is somewhat afraid to actually go in the potty. She will sit on it but not long enough to go. She will either go right before I take her or wait and go after I take her.

She would rather brush her teeth and wash her hands then go potty. I have no problem waiting, but I just don't how to go about this.

Favorite Answer

I think your daughter is at the perfect point of readiness. For my daughter, taking away the fear and maximizing comfort was essential. She was preoccupied with doing what I did and she also did not want to use the potty. I found something that worked for her and potty training became a non issue http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

Keep encouraging her and explain to her that when she pees or poops in the right place it makes you happy. She will amaze you with how hard she works to be grown up.

She's not really stubborn, she's just two. I would say that you should leave it be for a couple of months and then try again. Get some books on using the potty that are written for kids, "potty train" her favorite stuffed animal, etc.

Sitting on the potty at all is a start.

Here's the deal: 2 year olds are learning that they are independant people. However, they have little actual control over things. All they can control is what they allow to be put in their mouths and how they get rid of it on the other end. Some kids are more receptive if you allow them more choices in general. What to wear (let her pick from 2 or 3 outfits, more than that is overwhelming for a little one), etc. If you are already allowing her some age-appropriate control over her life, she's probably either not ready or just very persistant. Either way, letting it go for a month or two may help.

Take heart...the persistance that is so annoying now will serve her well as an adult. Some of the traits we prize most in grown-ups are the most difficult to deal with in little children :)

My son is incredibly sensitive, persistant, intense and detail oriented. It was maddening when he was little, but those things are great now! The things that made me crazy when he was 2 are the very same traits (tempered a bit by teaching him how to deal with life in a reasonable way) that other adults praise him for.

She should be speaking sentences at 25 mos. She sounds like she is getting there. It's a good sign that she takes her dirty diapers off. You need to get rid of diapers and have your daughter run around naked. It sounds funny, but it works! The more use of diaper, the less likely your child will ever be potty trained.

You need to have her naked from waist down, only a shirt and that will encourage her to run to potty. Tell her not pee on floor. Accidents happen. That's part of potty training.

My son hated it but when it's time it's time. You can be encouraging by talking and reading books about it. Talk to them when YOU do it. Tell them what a good girl you are. That's a start.

When you sit, make it 3 min at a time and often. Set a clock up in the bathroom as well as some 3 min books you could read.

My son had to cry and scream while I held him on the pot. He just did not like it. but after he knew that I meant business and he got the idea it can be fun....he actually sat longer than he needed.

My little girl had no problems she was potty trained before 2. Every kid is different.

Don't push too hard...she'll only do it when she's ready. Ask every once in a while if she has to go, but don't make a big deal out of it.

My daughter was just over 1 when we were playing outside and she said "poop"....so just for giggles, I took her inside and sat her on the potty seat and I almost freaked when she actually pooped!! Then she decided not to do it again until she was like 2 1/2 - 3 years old...go figure.

She'll go when she's ready. My daughter had just turned 3 when she decided to go herself. You're doing right by putting panties on her to let her see how much more comfy they are instead of diapers. She probably won't tell you, but try taking her every 30 min or so and when she does go, make a huge deal out of it....she'll be incouraged more! GL =)

well i found that if when you put them on the potty and give them a book to read it will usually distract them long enough for them to forget and they just go. try buying big girl underwear and tell her how important it is not to go in them. these things all worked for me and i've been through 5 and now a grand baby who is 17 months and loves her potty and books. good luck!

I'm having similar problems with my daughter. I think she'll still be in diapers at her high school graduation, lol.