Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is getting a tattoo against the Bible?

I really want a tattoo on my foot but my boyfriend (who is a preacher) is really against me getting one. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). So, even though believers today are not under the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15), the fact that there was a command against tattoos should cause us to question. The New Testament does not say anything about whether a believer should or should not get a tattoo.

In relation to tattoos and body piercings, a good test is to determine whether we can honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless and use the particular activity for His own good purposes. "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). The Bible does not command against tattoos or body piercings, but it also does not give us any reason to believe God would have us get tattoos or body piercings.

Another issue to consider is modesty. The Bible instructs us to dress modestly (1 Timothy 2:9). One aspect of dressing modestly is making sure everything that should be covered by clothing is adequately covered. However, the essential meaning of modesty is not drawing attention to yourself. People who dress modestly dress in such a way that they do not draw attention to themselves. Tattoos and body piercings most definitely draw attention. In this sense, tattoos and body piercings are not modest.

An important Scriptural principle on issues that the Bible does not specifically address is that if there is room for doubt as to whether it pleases God, then it is best to not engage in that activity. "For whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23). We need to remember that our bodies, as well as our souls, have been redeemed and belong to God. Although 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 does not directly apply to tattoos or body piercings, it does give us a principle, "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." This great truth should have a real bearing on what we do and where we go with our bodies. If our bodies belong to God, we should make sure we have His clear "permission" before we "mark it up" with tattoos or body piercings

Tattoos In The Bible

• Marion

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axSQ6

Significantly, the Mosaic Law forbade God’s people to tattoo themselves. Said Leviticus 19:28: “You must not make cuts in your flesh for a deceased soul, and you must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah.” Pagan worshipers, such as the Egyptians, tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. By complying with Jehovah’s ban on tattoo markings, the Israelites would stand out as different from other nations.—Deuteronomy 14:1, 2. While Christians today are not under the Law of Moses, the prohibition it laid on tattooing is sobering. (Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:14, 15) If you are a Christian, you would certainly not want to make markings on your body—even temporarily—that smack of paganism or false worship.—2 Corinthians 6:15-18. If you really want the cross tattoo, please read the article referenced below, so that you understand what the cross actually represents.

I guess you have to decide which is more important getting a tattoo or having a good relationship with your boyfriend.

I suggest you sit down with him and have him show you in the Bible why he feels you should not get a tattoo.

Everything that is written in the Word is for a purpose. God did not put it there just to fill in space. If He was against it thousands of years ago, He is still against it today. After 43 yrs of Christianity I realize the number one excuse to justify something I want to do is, "so and so does it" Well, even though this is true, "so and so" will not be taking my place when I stand in front of my Creator to give an account of my decisions I made in the past. Everything I am held accountable for is written in the Word. I can justify everything I do, but one thing for sure, God does not waiver on what is written. NEVER base your beliefs on what I say or think. Always stand on what is written and you will never go wrong.

I take it like this: My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and I offer up its parts up for the service for my King.

The Bible tells me: Do not conform to the image of this world, but be transformed in your spirit and mind by following the Lord.

Everyone around the world has become besotted with tattoos, even on body parts that will make anyone stand in utter amazement. Once this has been engraved deep in the skin it is there for life. I know of some young lady who recently died in Australia, all because of a tattoo on her arm.

Only you can make that decision, and only you have to give an account of your life in front of God.

Love the incredibly miraculous person you are. Make all your decisions based on love and not on the Bible. If you pray with feeling and trust your higher self you will not have a problem. I have a tattoo I have regretted but keep it as a reminder of a time when I was finding it difficult to love myself.

• ?

I thank you should pray some more about it, God lives you why would you wont to put an engraving image on your body.

Yes there are worst things that one can do but why do it, it will live a mark for life.

Pray about it. Did you know if you are a Christian that your body is the Temple of the Lord.

Your friend in Christ.

Which one you love better, your boyfriend or your wish to have a tattoo on your little foot? You don't have to tell me here, just go for it. A tattoo on a pretty foot of a pretty girl makes it even prettier.

It's against the Bible; it's written in Leviticus (the law that prohibits tattoos). Therefore, do not get a tattoo.

• AnaComeOn6 years agoReport

Like Godluvsu2 said, we are not bound by the Old Testament Laws..many contradictions. I guess it all depends if you're old school with the church or whatnot