1 dash of liquid smoke?

what is that?

I was reading a soup recipe and one ingredient is 1 dash of liquid smoke

what is that?

Best Answer

It is basically that: a liquid that gives the taste of smoke to anything it seasons. It is not sold everywhere. Maybe your recipe originally called for smoked meat or sausages, and the liquid smoke is to be used to flavor the soup if you are not using smoked meat.

• Q-mama

It is used to bring the flavor of smoking or grilling to food prepared without benefit of a smoker. I've used it in some recipes and it does have a strong flavor, but can work well in some things. I use it to make oven kalua pork (which is the faux version of a luau pork roast). A little goes a long way. It is usually in the condiment section at the grocery store, near the ketchup.

It is just that, smoke that has been condensed and captured. I would not add it. IT is very strong (that's why they said a dash) and I would not like it in soup! Add bacon or some ham for a delicate smokey flavor. Liquid smoke is for cooking heavy cuts of beef inside but adding an artificial, if you will, out door bbq flavor. Don't do it...just dont.

Commerically available flavor product sold in little bottles. Can be bought at many types of food stores and are labelled "Liquid Smoke".

• Lanell

Not a big deal, the smoke was probably very hot (because you can take in a lot in a hooka) and it gave your lungs a little burn like a sunburn...Should go away, drink lots of water

• CARL W

you can find it in most grocery stores look where they have the bbq sauce it's usually on the top shelf...use it sparingly..

• Meme

I got some at Wal-mart. They should have it around where you are!

its a bottle of flavoring..

i know it can be hard to find

Source(s): my dad uses it for certain recipes