Why are the security services allowed to tap phones?

if in the interest of National Security yet not use taped evidence in court?

Update:

ChinChill - I agree with you. As I said at the end of my question - I support the police. I'm just asking, what's the point of bugging if it can't be used as evidence in court? I don't think anyone has actually answered that yet.

Update 2:

Mike O: Here in the UK we are 'subjects' not citizens and we have no written constitution.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ern T
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Good question, and why are the police allowed to eavesdrop while the security services need permission? Wasn't the tapping and spying evidence used in the Stephen Lawrence case? I can't remember.

edit: OK then, thelaws need to be changed, to do that an act has to be passed in Parliament, the Attorney General has proposed that, he's had little support from all parties, even the police have said the evidence wouldn't help beat terroism.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/art...

• 1 decade ago

Because say I was a terrorist and I was ringing another terrorist I could be telling them loads of details about a bombing that's going to take place and then security services can get all this information and stop the bombings. And if your thinking but why bug innocent peoples phones then they don't know exactly who the terrorists are so they have to check out every possibility.

• 1 decade ago

Because we as a nation of people refuse to stand up and demand our Bill of Rights be restored to it's original state. The constitution starts with "We The People" and that means YOU!!! Write your congressmen and representatives and DEMAND CHANGE to the fascist laws and rules!!! We can take back our country if we'd just stand up for what we want!!!!

• 1 decade ago

the info gained gives the authorities a good starting point in which to gain evidence that can be used in court, should their investigations enable them to pin point an enemy of the state.

Be that an MP or any other citizen.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

We did not keep our security right in the first place. A good start would be to re- introduce capital punishment for treason.

• 1 decade ago

It all has to do with National Intelligence gathering money

for security profiteers.

$$$pying for Dollar$$$

• 1 decade ago

To prevent acts of terrorism or crime.

Maybe it can't be used as evidence - but prevention is always better than prosecution in my opinion.

• 1 decade ago

Because they're in the business of keeping us secure.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they would choose not to use it if it compromises their covert operations, and they are allowed to do it in the interests of national security. we're all fair game BTW, so don't be surprised if folks are listening in on YOU.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because we are at war

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.