Should life mean life??

A life sentance in Ireland is max 15yrs if convicted of murder, just yesterday an IRA member got out after nine years for killing a copper. Should we adopt a similar system the US whwere life IS life?

Best Answer

if you mean in terms of length of sentance then most definately, however if you mean the death sentance than no no human has the right to take another mans life or human rights.

However 50+ years in a jail with no priveleges is fair punishment but in jail these days most insist on pool tables, TV, Gym equipment and other PRIVILEGES...these should be stripped away and jail made to be a deterent not a short-term holiday camp.

50 years in a jail with a bed, a bathroom, a newspaper and they may earn there access to basic privileges such as TV via manual labour.

Please note this example above is for those who are positively guilty of murder, those who arent positive would be done for manslaughter anyway, a different punishment altogether.

Actually it depeds on the sentencing. From what I can understand when the DA puts in a 25 to life sentence, it means that the CONVICTED felon can expect a sentencing of anything between 25 years and life in prison. Basically 25 to life is usually what they say before the defendant is convicted. After he or she is convicted, the jury can 'advise' the judge as to what the sentence should be. The judge then takes the jury and the DA's sentences into advisement before the judge makes a ruling to how long the convicted person/s should stay in jail. So if the DA requests 25 to life it means that, s/he wants the convicted felon to be in jail for atleast 25 years and at most life in jail. The judge can go ahead and pick some random number like 44 and it will still be ok, but the judge can also pick a lower number if s/he feels that 25 is too much. It's all up to the preception of the judge, the jury, the DA and the defense. Usually convicted felons don't normally serve out their whole term. Usually only about a 1/3 or a 1/4 of their term is served in jail and the rest is what we call parole where they have to go and check in with a shrink and the police every so often. But life in jail usually means that they serve life unless parole is granted where then the convicted felon would serve out the rest of his or her sentence outside jail. But life without parole is usually when the felon cannot appeal for parole but can appeal the decisions. This is my interpretation of the life sentence. I may be right or wrong it really depends on so many factors, good behavior and the such. The death sentence is different because you get sent to prision and then death row, this process is so slow you can rot in prision/death row forever and never actually be killed. Usually inmates on death row die from the atrocious living conditions.

A court in the city where I live (UK) recently convicted a man for really horrific actions agains children, I won't go into it, it's really sick, suffice to say if life meant life he should have got it. He got 6 months. This might sound silly but there was a review on the 6 months which meant it could be extended and extended and extended, or the rest of his life, which of course it will be, he will never be let out, he will be in prison for the next 60 years, reviewed every 6 months without any intention of letting him out. Had he been given 'life' he would have spent far less and would probably have been eligible for parole after 15 years. Did the court get around the laughable 'life' sentence by sentencing him to the 6 months loophole sentence, I believe so. this makes the 'life' sentence even more laughable. yes of course it should mean life, without a doubt. The law is certainly an ***

Yes. Life should mean life - I think that there should be more than one judge/decision maker though - look at the judge in the rape case a few years ago who said to the victim that she hadn't really been physically hurt, and wished the rapist well in the future. Don't understand how he wasn't sacked on the spot. Wouldn't want him or anyone like him in charge of a murder trial. Mitigating circumstances should be taken into account, if needed, but for most of the fellas (sorry you're in the majority guys) sentenced to life, they deserve to stay there for life.

In the US life does not mean life either. The average time served for a murderer is 7.5 years. Which is considerably less then the victim of that crime serves.

I am for the death penalty myself. I know that Tim McVeigh (Oklahoma City Bomber, I am from OKC), will never bomb another building in his current condition.

I would like to know the IRA scum terrorist faced the same fate. My grandfather left Ireland to avoid that mess and it continues to this day.

There is alot of pros and cons regarding this issue in my eyes. I do agree life should mean life not just a few years.

But then it's who will fund the 80 years or what ever a person is going to serve. Surely this would penalise us tax payers more. But it's a good debate you raise !! :)

Yes

Yes, life should be for the rest of the natural life. But hanging for murder

Of course it should mean life, there should also be minimum mandatory sentences for all offences.

Why should someone serve 15 years for taking another life, there's has gone, why should you have yours back?

Prison doesn't work, but if you think it does - be prepared to pay more tax to build the huge prisons which will be required. Our prisons are overflowing now because of people like you. We imprison more people (as a percentage) than any other European country. Are you saying they have less crime in the US ?

Source(s): Used to teach in a prison