How are you celebrating this year Chinese New Year 2008 in Singapore? Thanks.?

Or in your country. Thanks again.

Favorite Answer

The traditional celebration "rituals" we used to practice back in Vietnam were, starting from 10 days before New Year 'til 15 days after:

----make lots of homemade foods, such as jung (similar to Tamales) or banh tet, dried cabbages, and Chinese sausages.

----get a new haircut, buy new clothes, new chopsticks, bowls, spoons, and so on.

----clean the whole house, not just the usual cleaning chores, but clean EVERY corner and crevice.

----on New Years Eve, take a bath with Palm Leaves (to cleanse out all the negative energies from the past year) in the late afternoon, change into new clothes, and get ready for the annual "family dinner," where EVERYBODY from far and near must come home early to join.

----after dinner, go out to "walk the flower market"

----after walking the market, then go stand in line outside the temple, along with a HUGE crowd, waiting for the temple doors to open right at midnight to burn the "first incense" for luck for the next year.

----then play games, drink, and gamble ALL NIGHT.

----either crash and sleep in or go to temple with the elders on New Years Day.

----from Jan. 2 onward, go watch various Lion Dances at the local businesses as well as visit each relative and friend's house.

----Jan. 15th is Yuen Siu celebration, which we just eat Tong Yuen and go out to the "market" for one last stroll.

But since I migrated to the U.S., I don't get to do all of those activities anymore. The work culture is sooo different that we don't even get the days off, least of all get to celebrate for 2 weeks and close down all the stores for a whole month. So I just limit it to getting the new things, get some New Year Flowers (especially my favorite orchids), listen to New Year songs, eat the family dinner, and give out Lai Si (red envelopes filled with money) to the little kids. In cities like L.A., New York, Vancouver, or Toronto, there might be some more "flower market" activities on New Years Eve. Although it still doesn't come close to the festivals in Asia, it is still my #1 favorite holiday!! How are you celebrating it?

Yes, I did celebrate Chinese New Year. What do you think I did or what other people did to celebrate it?

Watching tv, play PS2, watch tv.