crzycoookies asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Do bengal cats make good pets?

I'd prefer an answer from someone who's actually met a bengal in real life - Not just from reading websites, etc.

Troys Bucket: You shouldn't talk before you know what's actually happening. I was thinking of getting a bengal cat from a nearby bengal rescue. :)

So from everybody's description, it sounds, basically, like the bengal cat is actually more like a dog?(- the constant attention wanting) That's fine with me, or maybe a little bit better. I'm always looking for a challenge, anyways.

Favorite Answer

<---Bengal cat

Hi there...Bengal cats "CAN" be great house pets, however there are some important things to note about their temperament and personalities. They prefer the company of other cats and most do get along with cats IF/WHEN the introductions are done correctly as this applies to ANY cats who meet for the first time. However, there are some who are the exception to this rule.

Bengals are a very hyperactive breed of cat well as extremely vocal and loud cats much more than Siamese cats. They are very demanding for attention and interested in everything their owners are doing. They certainly enjoy affection however only on their own terms as they rarely like being held or are lap cats. However, some are an exception to this rule. Ideally, they may not be a good fit for young children, because children want to cuddle and Bengals are far from being such a cat who likes to be restrained. If they are left alone for long periods of time it's best to have the company of another cat or dog, which is preferable or they can be quite mischevious as well as destructive as a result of loneliness and/or from boredom.

Please consider speaking with Bengal breeders before purchasing one because these cats are very demanding in general. Some important information about Bengals. They should never be declawed as it leads to overcompensation with vicious biting since they have larger canine teeth than a typical domestic cat as well inappropriately soiling (urinating/defecating) around the home. Something we have witnessed too frequently with the rescues we take in. As a manageable alternative we show prospective Bengal families on how to trim cats nails and provide the following website video produced by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine on how to trim cats nails: http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/trimming_c...

Bengals should never be allowed to roam freely outdoors as they are apt to be stolen and later sold sometimes for profit. However, they will take to leash training easily and it is the safest way to give them some of the outdoor enjoyment. In some regions the Bengal cat is outlawed as a pet so be sure to check with your local humane society in your region to learn if they are legal. Georgia, Hawaii and a few other states have banned Bengal cat ownership.

Many Bengals require a healthier diet of closer to raw as many suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)--loose stools syndrome. Royal Canin 27 is generally what Bengal breeders use to feed their cats since this is highly endorsed with The Int'l Cat Assoc (TICA). There are premium brands such as Innova EVO or Nature's Variety Prairie (see other diets listed below) that help easy the problem with IBS. Any of the cat foods that contains the ingredient corn, corn meal (e.g. Iams, Science Diet, Purina, Whiskas, etc) causes severe bowel distresses so it's best to choose cat food products that steer clear of these ingredients.

To learn more about Bengals consider joining the Bengal Chat forum: http://www.chat24.oli.us/hdw/ or http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/ .

As a rescuer we always let new Bengal families know if in event there's a time in the future you are unable to keep your bengal perhaps to allergies, medical illness in the family or moving overseas, etc all responsible Bengal breeders WILL take their cats back (no questions asked) as it is their ethical agreement with TICA in the sale of the kittens. There are also Bengal rescuers located all over the world and we are also willing to help with rehoming if necessary. We try to keep Bengals from ending up in the shelters as many euthanize them quickly believing they are a wild cat and not safe as a pet, when in fact they are domesticated since they are four or more generations removed from their wild relative the Asian Leopard Cat (ALC).

Diets for Bengals:

Their diet should consist of very high protein rather than the usual commercial cat food, which contains corn, corn meal and preservative fillers... for example those would be: IAMS, Science Diet, Purina, Whiskas and many others...essentially, anything from the grocery store and pet stores. The reason being is that Bengals commonly suffer from lifelong Irritable Bowel Syndrome so if you live in a large metropolitan city look for a specialty pet store that carries any of the following products to help minimize his bowel distresses:

Innova EVO and/or California Natural: http://www.naturapet.com/

Nature's Variety Praire: http://www.naturesvariety.com/

Wellness: http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

Life's Abundance: http://www.healthypetnet.com/

Source(s): Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats Owner & Rescuer of Bengal & other exotic cats/pets 28 year friendship with a veterinarian
    • Alecia5 years agoReport

I have found that making my own raw cat food is beneficial. One of my Bengals had Bengal Nose where the skin on the nose is just nasty black and scabby, and feeding raw has all but elimitated it! It s expensive, but supposedly it will will keep them healthier, so less vet bills. Yay!

I don't have a bengal but I know a few people who do. They don't need to be an only cat (I know a few people with 2 or 3 and one with 11!). There are a few bengal forums around so that might be a good place to chat with people who have bengals.

http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/

They are just like any other domestic cat, but they are lively and demanding so need an owner prepared to spend a lot of time with them and provide lots of stimulating activities. They can also have a tendancy to sensitive stomachs so it can be tricky getting the diet right (many seem to do well on a raw diet). I have heard that they bond quite closely with one person, particularly early generation Bengals, but not to the point where it's a problem and I think that is less of an issue with later generation Bengals (which most are now). The bengal gene pool is now wide enough for there to be little need to still use the ALC in breeding programmes, and most pet bengals are too many generations from the wild cat to count (F10 and more).

Bengal House Cat

My parents have two cats, one of which is a bengal (seventh generation) and I lived with him until I moved away for college.

He meows A LOT, and demands a lot of attention. He also has a very sensitive stomach which comes with the breed. He sheds moderately so grooming is not too bad as long as you keep up with brushing weekly.

HE IS VERY TERRITORIAL. Although he was fixed when he was a kitten, he will still mark his territory if a stray cat comes anywhere near the house that he knows of. My parents have a screened in patio and pool area that they allow the cats to go out on. If a stray cat comes anywhere near the house, he will begin spraying for at least a day.

Also, when the other cat got sick, the bengal began attacking him. The two cats have lived together almost all their lives and yet as soon as the other cat showed signs of weakness, the bengal was ready to kill him. We had never seen the bengal exhibit such harsh behavior before and had to seperate them while the other cat got over his illness. After the other cat was all better the two resumed their close friendship of sleeping together and following each other around with no signs of hostility.

Bengals are beautiful cats and can make great pets. If you have any other pets in the house though and they become ill, just be sure to keep an eye on the bengal.

Good luck!

Chloe is now a little over two years old, purchased from an established breeder and is above F-6. Here are a few things about her that may help you make a decision - but all cats have their own personality!

She is very active...loves to play chase with a laser pointer or a shoelace. Balls are a big deal too. I am fortunate - I work mostly from my home-office so she gets lots of attention. On those occasions when I am gone for a while (say 12-14 hours), she lets me hear it! MEOW. But she hasn't destroyed anything like some bengals do when they are bored. I do not leave her alone for extended periods of time. Most cats don't take to that very well - anything more than overnight and she comes with or goes to my dad's house.

She isn't big on people she doesn't know - but I live alone so she doesn't see others that often. Those she sees regularly (my dad, my fiance, my closest friend) she is comfortable around. Strangers = underside of the bed for Chloe.

These cats do meow a lot - it's almost like they talk to you. They are traditionally more vocal than Siamese cats. Mine has learned to be quiet at night, but that took some training - don't respond at all (don't even flinch) when they meow in the middle of the night - it encourages them!

You mentioned you wanted a lap cat - a bengal likely will not be that for you - they are too active and easily distracted. Chloe gets on my lap usually once at night and once in the morning when I'm working, but usually only stays about 5 minutes. However she is very closely bonded to me so is never far. Right now since my laptop occupies my lap she is curled up next to me with her head on my arm watching the cursor on the screen....that's pretty close to a lap cat.

Two words of warning - do not get bengals declawed - they overcompensate with biting and other aggressive behavior. Chloe has her claws and they are clipped every 10-14 days. She has a post and a board to scratch and is very good with her claws...she snagged one blanket as a kitten before she had good control over her claws but that's it. Second, biting is playful for bengals. Some you can train out of it, some like Chloe can not be deterred. I use a water bottle and stern "NO BITING" - she knows it's wrong but seems to get "possessed" and unable to control herself.

Becasue of bengal's unique traits, some owners shell out the hundreds of dollars to get one only to be giving them away later. My best advice is be sure you're ok with the quirks of this breed of cat before you buy....and if the cat you get is an angel with none of these traits, then that will be a pleasant surprise! Good luck and sorry for the long post!

RE:

Do bengal cats make good pets?

I&#39;d prefer an answer from someone who&#39;s actually met a bengal in real life - Not just from reading websites, etc.

Yes Bengal cats make great pets! I have had mine since it was a kitten for a little over 2 years now. What previous people have stated before they are a little bit more work than normal cats, so experienced cat owners are recommended, but its not a difficult learning curve if its your first cat.

The most important issue with Bengal cats is their diet. This was quite a challenge even for me, I'm still changing up his food from time to time. Bengals have really sensitive stomachs and that can lead to smelly wet poos which just all around don't seem healthy. Bengals do have wild characteristics and their diet is one of them. Raw meat has worked best for me but i have finally winged him off home made foods and onto a Hills brand Grain free diet.

The next issue with Bengals is that they are very vocal and attention seeking. They just want to talk to you all the time, especially if it bonds to you and you are the main person in your household taking care of it. Not all Bengals that are shown on youtube have that cute adorable chirp, yes they all can do that and will do sometimes but for me, in my experience my bengal sounds more like a crying baby screaming at me. It's ear shattering sometimes, and can drive anyone up the wall. But because they are cats and independent feel free to yell at them back, (when they nonstop meow at you for no reason) it hasn't traumatized mine any. He still gives me cuddles every night.

That's the bad news about Bengals, but here is the good! Bengals are the most loyal cat I have ever known, they are highly intelligent and can learn many tricks when you get them young. Mine knows a few basic tricks like sit, shake, and fetch. I have even trained it on a "City Kitty" (training liter box for your toilet) when I first got him as a kitten, I believe these cats can learn quite easily actually how to use a toilet, which saves you tons of money on liter and your sense of smell a big relief, (no he can't flush).

Bengal cats are excellent pest controllers, since he's been added to the family, cockroach and cricket outbreaks have plummeted, he gets his natural hunting fix and some protein, and I get a pest free house!

Bengal cats are hypoallergenic so everyone can enjoy them if they have allergies, They also hardly ever shed or require brushing. I give mine baths once a month or so, he doesn't mind the water one bit (Bengals have the softest fur out of all the cats, even softer than new born kittens). I never have to worry about my Bengal being bored or sad at home by himself, because these cats are the best at entertaining themselves. They can be very mischievous, sweet, gentle, and quite athletic, so just make sure you're not crammed in a small apartment and you should be good.

Last thing I will say about Bengals is that they are a very dominant cat breed, (I don't know if this falls under a good or bad category) I like that mine is dominant in the household. But in my experience with cat play dates is that my Bengal is completely fine with other cats when he is in THEIR environment, I see him play with newly met cats and get along just fine. But for some reason, whenever a new cat comes to the house, my Bengal is out for blood, I often fear that he would kill another cat if left unwatched, which is a scary thought... However they seem to get along great with dogs no matter how big or small, they are very social animals. but you always have to remember they have wild animal characteristics too, leaving them quite unpredictable at times. which makes it half the fun!

Hope this helps any future buyers, let me know if you have anymore questions, I could talk cats all day!

best wishes,

-Ian

• Alecia5 years agoReport

Bengals are not hypoallergenic - they might be LESS allergenic than other cats, but I have allergy symptoms with my Bengals just like regular cats - contrary to popular belief!

A very good friend of mine has one and he is absolutely stunning. Having said that, he is high maintenance, and requires an experienced owner (which she is). They are about as close as u can get to a 'wild' cat and this must be remembered. They will hunt if not kept inside or in a cat enclosure, and can turn feral if not socialised with people and/or other cats from a young age.

I did a lot of research on them a few years ago and talked to a number of breeders because I wanted to get one for our family. However, I changed my mind after learning that they bond with just one person. That makes them ideal for a single person, but not so great for a family.

Good luck..they're beautiful cats!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that they are ideal for a single person who is home a lot. Aside from work, if you are a homebody, that should be fine. They don't like being left alone all the time.

Bengals are the most stunning cats HOWEVER they are very demanding and also need to be an "only cat".

You would need to be at home for most of the day, Bengals need to be stimulated and do not cope well with being left alone for long periods.

They also tend to suffer from tummy problems.

Be very careful when buying on, You need to go for an F4...anything lower than that and you might have serious problems with behavior.

I personally would NOT own one, I know alot of people who do have Bengals and have worked with alot too .....but do your research, contact breeder etc

Good luck with what you decide xx

i have a one year old boy bengal, hes very loving but can also be agreesive but you have to train them there not like a normal cat, they need alot of attention so if your out all the time its not good to get one. they need play time there very clever and are diffrent from a normal cat.