Did King Arthur have a round table?

Because Ikea wasn't around at the time.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the tradition that king arthur sat his knights at a round table and so avoided the idea of precedence probably first appears in the history of britain written by geoffrey of monmouth in the 1140s.

geoffrey believed that arthur's original court (camelot) was at caerleon, near the england / wales border.

caerleon had been a roman garrison town ('caerleon' is welsh for 'legionary fortress') and there was a very small amphitheatre just outside it which geoffrey had almost certainly seen.

geoffrey probably imagined that the amphitheatre was actually arthur's 'round table' - or perhaps he only pretended he did.

'the history of the kings of britain' is an excellent collection of early stories about king arthur, king lear, sabrina and all the other early british myths. but it also contains some fairly obvious moral lessons which geoffrey wanted the early norman kings to pay attention to.

since norman kings, barons and earls were almost constantly killing each other over who got the best seat at table a round table would have been a very good lesson for them to learn from king arthur.

(they didn't).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I have read may stories about King Arthur, And his suppose round table... And many of these stories may have been tainted on the side of the Brits... And since many of these stories came after King Arthur Was dead for who knows how many years.. I tend to believe that 90% of these stories come from the imagination of the writters.............. For if King Arthur's father was Pendragon... And accept this or not but Pendragon was not from England, But he was a great Knight... But his mother was from Brition ... And she was raped by Pendragon.... Now she may have been from royal blood and maybe she was just a phesant lady that just got caught up is a minor battle...... But having Arthur was not of her choosing and that is an histroical fact..... Now as for Merlin existence.. There is no way to prove this fact histrocially....And as for the lady of the lake Well She may have lived near a lake but no way did she live in that lake............ And at that time period there were a few women Black smith's... And it was very possible that a women created that sword.... Also armored Knights and Castles did not exist during the time period that Arthur Existed.... And that was another historical fact....... And King Arthur did live a very primitive life style... And may have been born and live in a tents.............................

• 1 decade ago

King Arthur did have a round table.

One myth says that Merlin built it for him, so that every man was equal when they sat it, none more important than the other.

But a more prominant one states that King Leodegranz, Guinevere's father, bestowed it upon Arthur when the two married, sort of like a part of her dowry.

It was one of a kind, in both myths. It seated an extremely large amount of Knights (100 - 200), and was never reproduced.

• 1 decade ago

The story goes that King Arthur had a round table which had no head and signified that everyone at the table had an equal voice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

According to the King Arthur legend he did have a round table. Made from a section of a large tree. Sir Phil-a-lot was there too.& amazon Queen Eliza.of course. LOL

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think the REAL question here is, Did King Arthur have a lazy susan in the middle of the round table!?! :D

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah I hear that! I think it's like the metaphor for all being equal at that level of commitment or if you like Arthur was first amongst the equals of his companions. I love Ikea, those Swedes musta been hippies!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I found a free download of King Arthur Gold here: http://j.mp/1qXIucV

it's the full version, avaiable for free! very fast to install

Players of the King Arthur’s Gold title are required to construct siege machines for the destruction of their enemies, buildings for the production of military units and resources, and of course mines for gold.

• 1 decade ago

From what I have read I do not believe he had a round table. Check out this web site down below. Scroll down to where it says CADBURY HILL FORT. This will hopefully give you have information you have been looking for.

• Baps .
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.