What does the expression "nothing to frighten the horses" mean ?

I tried to find the answer on several dictionaries, but I couldn't. It seems to be a very common expression, but I can't really understand what it means.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Best Answer

Some 18th century english general expressed his opinion on homosexuality amongst his troops by saying he didn't care as long as they didn't frighten the horses.

If that's any help.

Frighten The Horses

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awinq

This means that sometimes the danger that goes unseen (but is suggested) is more frightening and suspenseful than actually seeing the danger. Hitchcock mastered this balance, and modern suspense and action films (which rely on blood and violence to frighten) should take a page out of his book.

This was allegedly said by King Edward VII. the libertine son of Queen Victoria, who was known to like a good time. He said,

"I don't very much care what people do as long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."

It's when something is not considered an exaggeration or extreme.

"The girls dress was red, but nothing to frighten the horses"

Her dress is red (which is considered by some, a garish color), but not an offensive shade of red.

"The trumpet solo was loud, but nothing to frighten the horses"

The trumpet piece may have been loud, but it did not hurt the ears.