anybody please help...please!!!?

i just found out my mom who is 32, has chiari 1 malformation...im so scared.....shes the only one who works to support the family...its just her, my two brothers and me....please anybody...

what are the worst symptoms that could result from this....what are the side effects....how much would it be for treatment...please help im desperate please

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I cannot answer about the illness honey but don't try to take so much on by yourself. If you want more information about this illness, ask your Mom for her interpretation. You should share your feelings with her and the two of you work together on your understanding of it. I know that this does not sound like much help but there is a lot of truth in it...God never gives us more than we can handle. We can argue the God thing but in essence it means that we are capable of handling a lot more than we ever think possible.

Go to your Mom, tell her of your concerns and fears. Talk to her honey. The best thing that you can do for your Mom is to be there for her when she needs you to be, not to be the everything, that is not your position. Help her when she needs it, and just be good to ach other. There are millions of Medical Miracles happening evey day.

There are numerous facilities and provisions available to help people who are in your situation. If and when it is necessary, I am sure that your Mom and her Doctors will investigate these things and it will work out.

Go hug your Mom and talk to her. Sounds like you are a great young person. Take care.

• 1 decade ago

Here is what I found and you don't have anything to worry about. It can be fixed....

Home The Chiari Institute What We Treat Chiari Malformation

Chiari Malformation

Chiari (kee-AR-ee) malformation (CM) includes a complex group of disorders characterized by herniation of the cerebellum through the large opening in the base of the skull (foramen magnum) into the spinal canal. The herniated tissue blocks the circulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain and can lead to the formation of a cavity (syrinx) within the spinal cord. There are three main types of CM. CM1, the simplest and most prevalent form, is generally considered to be a congenital malformation, although acquired cases are recognized. (See diagrams below.) It is rarely apparent at birth. CM2 and CM3 are more severe congenital malformations that are apparent at birth and associated with complex defects of the brain and spinal cord.

Patients with CM1 may experience no symptoms. When symptoms are present, they usually do not appear until adolescence or early adulthood, but can occasionally be seen in young children. The majority of patients complain of severe headache and neck pain. Other common symptoms are dizziness, vertigo, disequilibrium, visual disturbances, ringing in the ears, difficulty swallowing, palpitations, sleep apnea, muscle weakness, impaired fine motor skills, chronic fatigue and painful tingling of the hands and feet. Because of this complex symptomatology, patients with CM1 are frequently misdiagnosed.

How common is Chiari malformation?

Until recent years, CM1 was regarded as a rare condition. With the increased availability of magnetic resonance imaging, the number of reported cases has risen sharply. Current estimates range from 200,000 to 2 million Americans with the condition. Genetic studies spearheaded by Dr. Milhorat support a hereditary tendency with a transmissibility rate of 12 percent. Women are affected three times more often than men. Approximately 3,500 Chiari operations are performed each year in the United States.

© North Shore - Long Island Jewish Health System serves the New York counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Staten Island.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.