John H
Lv 5
John H asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Question about the Yankees big three?

Back in the early 90's the New York Mets had three can't miss pitching prospects. Right handed Jason Isringhausen and Paul Wilson and left handed Bill Pulsipher. The Mets where just past their great years of the late 80's and moved all three pitchers through the minors and into the majors quickly. All three pitchers were busts for the New York Mets, the following is a little about how the then named Generation K ended up. Please read the link before answering.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Generati...

Now for my question. What are the chances Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain of the Yankees could end up following the same path as that talented trio from the 1990's?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There is always a chance prospects tagged can't miss will fail, especially pitchers. The difference with the Yanks big three and the mets is grooming. As stated the mets brought their kids a long quickly, too quickly in fact. Kennedy has a solid collegiate background, looked very solid in his appearances last year, and is considered by a fair amount of people in the know to be the most polished of the 3 at this time. Hughes came out of HS and has been brought along at about the pace of any high ceiling pitcher. He did have some struggles at times adjusting to the idea of being hit hard, for the first time in his life probably, but rebounded and closed out the season very impressively. Joba has the biggest hype right now and soldier ants aside was DOMINANT. Not for a week or two but long enough to be considered legitimate, and he also had collegiate experience coming in. The kids the mets threw to the wolves weren't as polished, not nearly close enough to ready, and didn't have as complete an arsenal of pitches to work with. Hughes was only allowed to start throwing his slider at the end of the season, not even in the minors was that allowed except as watched in practice and it is filthy. Joba has 4 strong pitches including that disgusting fastball, and Kennedy is the big control pitcher known more for working out of jams with DP balls and by knowing how to work through a lineup. Pulsipher and wilson by contrast had a ton of media hype but not the level of skill these kids have nor the full arsenal of pitches. Isringhausen did have the talent level but was bombarded with pressure, rushed up, and discarded when he didn't work out quickly enough. The met's were thinking of 3 young Goodens, failing to realize a pre-coke gooden was a once a decade kind of kid that could walk in so young and be lights out, had such overwhelming skill he didn't need coaching- just counseling. I'm not saying all the yanks kids will be stars or that they're going to be solid long career guys, but if you look at the tools and circumstances under their arrival in the bigs as compared to what the mets did it's night and day and gives them a better shot at establishing themselves.

• 1 decade ago

Well i just Hope and pray they can just be healthy and the Yankees take good care of there Arms Hughes had his ups and downs as a Rookie , but gave us a huge win in the playoffs,Joba in Relief was amazing, Kennedy has the poise and the stuff to become a great pitcher

• 1 decade ago

that is a good point. The New York Yankees do have some top propects in the majors right now. All are great pitchers and i think will end up more than how the trio for the Mets ended up. These guys have great potential and already shown greatness last year.

• 1 decade ago

There is always that chance. Pitching prospects are dicey at best. The fact is pitching involves an unnatural motion that promotes injury, fatigue and general uncertainty. Because of this, you can name numerous pitching "guarantees" that ultimately failed.

I would say the odds of three specific pitchers all being successful ten years from now within the Major League level is a longshot at best. If one of them is winning 15 games a year, you would be OK... and if two are doing this, you would be blowing away the odds.

And all three of them becoming aces and or studs? Well, just ain't going to happen.

Good luck to ya...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They all proved themselves last year over a short amount of time, especially Joba. Phil Hughes did it in the playoffs and Kennedy was very impressive. There's always a chance, but I doubt it.

• 1 decade ago

i would say there is every chance those three are total busts

expecially with the yanks gm being such a bad reader of pitchers

• 3 years ago

corridor of repute is over rated. if i seem up a participant, i dont choose him based on if he became a corridor of famer or not. i inspect his numbers, and the checklist e book. not a stupid museum. particular its a great honor, even though it would not choose you as a participant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a long shot,but it's a shot Cashman has faith in.I hope it pays off time will tell.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good chance. Better chance if you throw in some bugs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.