Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

Does chantix cause psychosis new fda research?

Favorite Answer

Generally one of the best places to look for information on a drug is in the Prescribing Information (P.I.) that generally comes with it. Every company has the PI available online as well so you could look there under Side Effects/ Adverse Events. The FDA regulates the PI so information must be accurate, and can not be omitted to paint a favorable profile of a product. Obviously if new side effects come out it may take a month or two for the PI to be updated (a claim has to be substantiated 1st).

The most common side effects of CHANTIX include:

nausea

sleep disturbance (trouble sleeping, changes in dreaming)

constipation

gas

vomiting

Neuropsychiatric Symptoms

Serious neuropsychiatric symptoms have occurred in patients being treated with CHANTIX.

Some cases may have been complicated by the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal in patients who

stopped smoking; however, some of these symptoms have occurred in patients who continued to

smoke. All patients being treated with CHANTIX should be observed for neuropsychiatric

symptoms including changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation and

suicidal behavior. These symptoms, as well as worsening of pre-existing psychiatric illness,

have been reported in patients attempting to quit smoking while taking CHANTIX in the postmarketing

experience. Patients with serious psychiatric illness such as schizophrenia, bipolar

disorder, and major depressive disorder did not participate in the pre-marketing studies of

CHANTIX and the safety and efficacy of CHANTIX in such patients has not been established.

Patients attempting to quit smoking with CHANTIX and their families and caregivers should be

alerted about the need to monitor for these symptoms and to report such symptoms immediately

to the patient’s healthcare provider.

Talk to your Doctor If you have Questions

Source(s): Chantix.com Prescribing Information

Not for me I took it for 3 months and had no problems. Also it worked great. I smoked for 27 years and don’t miss it at all. Once I had been on it for 2 weeks I realized it was just as much habit as addiction.