Are the Patriots the greatest team to lose a Super Bowl?

If not, who and why? Also, who is the worst (and I'm not saying this about the Giants, just curious) team to ever win a Super Bowl? I'm interested to hear people's thoughts.

• Favorite Answer

There is no doubt that the Cowboys of the 1970s -- Super Bowls X and XIII -- are the greatest teams to lose a Super Bowl. Both clubs lost to the Steelers, who were clearly the greatest team of all time and the only team EVER to win 4 Super Bowls in 6 years. How can I prove these two Cowboy teams were the greatest to ever lose a Super Bowl. Because these Cowboy teams won two other Super Bowls in the same exact decade -- one of them crushing the Dolphins just before the Dolphins perfect season! What a great Cowboys team: Staubach, Pearson, Too Tall Jones, Charlie Waters, Howley, and the rest. They would have won 4 Super Bowls in that decade if not having to play against the greatest combination of offense and defense in NFL history: Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth and Franco on one side. Mean Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Dwight White, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, on the other side. All Hall of Famers or soon to be so (Greenwood). Nobody else could beat that Cowboys team. They proved it. They beat the Dolphins and made them perfect the following year. They beat the heck out of the "Orange Crush." They just ran up against the buzz saw known as the great Steelers... Now, as to who is the worst team to ever win a Super Bowl, the answer is this: The worst team is the only team caught cheating in the Super Bowl, the team who knew the plays before they were called, the team who ruined a great team known as the "greatest show on turf," and who won their Super Bowls by 3 points at the last minute. Those Patriots teams would have been crushed by 3 teams of each of the following: (a) the 49ers, (b) the Cowboys, (c) the Raiders, (d) the Packers, (e) the Steelers and (f) the Redskins. Imagine Joe Montana in 1989 going against the 2002 Patriots. It would have been a massacre.

The Pats are obviously the greatest team to never win the Super Bowl. Next year though they will come back pissed and win it.

The worst team to win the Super Bowl would have to be the Oakland Raiders in 2003. Good super bowl winners do good the following year and the Raiders fell off the map since then and have yet to come back. The Giants could be put into a new category though as the luckiest team ever!

When your coach and QB are under the radar and almost fired last year and the start of the season is horrible then out of nowhere they win 3 road games against the best teams in the league and win it all, wow what luck.

I'm not sure the Patriots are a great team. Sure they won all but 1 game (the most important however), but look at their play. The are vulnerable to a tough physical defense. Their defense couldn't shut down anyone since the Colts game. Imagine what some of the great defenses in the past would do to this team, or how many points some of the great offenses in the past would do. As to the question, the Rams that were beaten by the Patriots by 3 was probably the best that lost a superbowl. But that is being questioned now by Spygate.

Well everyone talked about the Bears and Grossman's horrible game last year and how it was the worst performance ever. However, sad to say it, people expected a rough game from Grossman. What people didn't expect is a rough game from Brady, Brady choked big time. So I would say the Pats are probably one of the "best" teams to lose a Super Bowl, not that I didn't enjoy it.

Source(s): Congrats Giants, from a Bears (and Colts) fan!
  • JT-24

I would say so...when they lost my first thought was...great...the best team to not win a Super Bowl...I just can't believe how well the Giants played...they needed to play their best game and did so.

Source(s): a disappointed Pats fan.

They have to be, they had a perfect season and perfect playoffs. Brady is a great QB and may go down as one of the best. They lost and I'm glad the G-men won but we have definitely not seen the last of this Patriots team. Brady still have several prime years in from of him, the best may be yet to come for him.

yes, I think so. the only other team that comes close is the Buffalo Bills of the 90s, but they can't be as great because they didn't win any Super Bowls at all.

you can go 18-0 but when you go 18-1 with a loss in the superbowl, it completely changes the outlook of your record. So they are still a great team but not the greatest to lose.

the 2001 Rams were. They were the most favored team in superbowl history by the spread. No one gave the Pats a chance to beat the Greatest Show on Turf, and Brady pulled it off

I think so. The Pats broke records offensively and were the only team other than the 72 Dolphins to be undefeated in the regular season.