Why isn't Kida (from Atlantis) counted as a Disney Princess?

I was searching for dress-up clothes for a birthday present for my little girl and i found the Disney Princess List on Wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess. Princess Kida isn't mentioned anywhere on the list, or on any other disney princess list. It's almost as if Disney created the movie but doesn't recognize her character, yet she was born a princess, like the majority of the others. Can anyone tell me why?

*SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY NEED RESPOND*

Favorite Answer

Actually I'd like to know that too.

I was going to say it's because she's not in a princess in the traditional sense. But then I looked at the list, and Mulan isn't a princess at all to my recollection. And I'd say that Pocahontas was on par with Kida; both tribal princesses of newly discovered worlds.

Perhaps because Atlantis wasn't a popular movie, and wasn't targeted at young girls like the other movies with the princesses in it. Making 'princess' merchandise for Kida wouldn't be good for profits I guess.

The only thing I can see all the princesses in the list having in common is that their movies all had songs throughout, and they all sung. Kida didn't sing. (nothing to do with it most likely, but thats the only thing I can see)

• sather

Kida Atlantis

• henle

Princess Kida

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/rwidA

It could be a number of things. First, their movies (The Black Cauldron and Atlantis: The Lost Empire, respectively) were marketed as more "adult" movies than the other Disney Princess movies. Sure, some of the older Disney movies might be a bit adult compared to newer movies, both Black Cauldron and Atlantis received PG ratings, whereas all others got G ratings. Second, neither of the movies were based on well-known fairy tales. Unlike the other Disney Princess movies, like Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Aladdin, Black Cauldron and Atlantis were based on stories not many people would recognize today. Black Cauldron is an adaptation of the Chronicles of Prydain, a series of novels loosely based on Welsh and Celtic mythology. Atlantis isn't really based on any known fairy tale. Atlantis is based on theories made on the lost civilization for centuries, and is sort of a fictionalized telling of one of the many expeditions made in the early 20th century to try to find the lost city. Third, both movies were poorly received by theatergoers, and the critics didn't care for the movies all that much either. Some gave it good reviews; but the majority gave OK or less. Also, both movies didn't do too well in the box office. Since neither movie appealed to younger audiences (Atlantis especially - there's more adult humor than kid-friendly humor), marketing was pretty much shot for the younger crowds.

As "Disney Princess" is an entire franchise of Disney merchandise on its own, it may be that Atlantis just wasn't a popular enough film to include her. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know (I tend to avoid Disney's interpretations of classic literature and mythology like the plague!) but the chances are that she won't be included unless the film was a musical (since all the princesses that are currently included have had songs or musical roles in each of their respective films, even the guest ones). Princess Kida doesn't seem to share the same simliarities as the six main princesses, and maybe wouldn't look aesthetically right with the others. I would put this down as why since it is just a marketing ploy to appeal to young girls in a pretty and co-ordinated (if a little mind-numbing!) way!

Kida is a Princess, unfortunately, Disney's release of Atlantis: The Lost Empire doesn't quite live up to the standards of those classic films like the Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Mulan etc, which were the all time favourites chosen by the younger audience. Now in 2007, Disney announced that a new Princess would be added: Princess Tiana, from their 2009 animated feature The Princess and the Frog, will become the first African American princess to join the ranks of Disney Princesses. I think the only reason why they added Tiana was due to the high "racial issue" of why every Disney characters were all Caucasians with only two asian characters "Mulan" and "Princess Jasmine."

• All the disney princesses are from the Disney classics and Kida isn't considered a traditional princess.

Kida was a Princess until her Father's death, she then became Queen of Atlantis

Really, when you think about it, Cinderella and Belle were not princess's to begin with. And in the end become one, is this Kida a princess at the end? Maybe she really isn't a disney princess..You can have someone speically make them. Maybe you can special order the clothes from somewhere. Good Luck!

Atlantis was after the Disney "Golden Years".

The Disney Princess campaign is to make money off the best of the disney movies, which are the earlier ones. Basically everything pre-Lion King.

You also have characters like Jane, Esmerelda, Mulan, and Megara who would also fit in the campaign but were not from that "Golden Age" of Disney.