jen9982 asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 decade ago

Bare minerals...?

So I just bought bare minerals foundation and tried to put it on, but it ended up making my face look powdery and dry. Any tips or tricks? I've heard that if you do it right, it looks really natural.

Favorite Answer

Mineral foundation takes some getting used to. There is a definite learning curve with this stuff. You need to practice with it until you get the hang of it.

Shake a little foundation into the jar lid. Place your brush in the foundation, then firmly, (don't press too hard) swirl the brush until you have picked up the foundation in the bristles. Tap the brush handle against the lid, allowing any excess minerals to fall back into the lid.

Now, start buffing. Work from the outside of your face, in. Pick up more foundation, as you need it, swirling and tapping, each time. The secret to good mineral foundation application is to buff, buff, buff. Layer your coverage in light, even amounts. If, after you go over your face the first time, you need more coverage, aply a little more in the areas you need additional coverage. Then buff to blend. Remember, buff, buff, buff. Don't be afraid to apply firm pressure to the brush as you buff. (Dont press too hard,you don't want to irritate your skin.)

Once your foundation is on and buffed properly, it shouldn't lok as if you have a masque of makeup on your face. Your skin may look a little "powdery" when the foundation is first applied. Don't run and wash your face, right away. Give it a little time for your skin to warm the minerals and let them melt into your skin a bit. (This is not as weird as it sounds. :) )

Remember, it takes practice. Don't give up and don't throw it in a drawer, calling it junk because you couldn't make it work, the first time out. I did that, when I first tried it. I then brought it back out and really practiced with it and no foundation other than mineral foundation has touched my face in almost seven years.

I love Bare Minerals! I use them every day. Try applying the makeup in a small circular motion. Sometimes if your face looks dry, it can mean your applying too much or your applying it the wrong way. Try putting just a little bit on your brush and smoothing it completely over your skin in a small motion. The small motion will let the makeup to set on skin without looking cakey. Then you can put a little more on. The key to this make up is to start with a little and then build up to the coverage that you want. Sometimes it might take 3 or 4 application of the powder to get the coverage you want, but it will look really natural. Make sure you put the Mineral Veil on afterwards to set the makeup so it wont run or smudge on your clothes!

Hope that helped!

Use their "revver-upper" lotion before putting on the foundation. Then make sure you swirl your brush in the foundation and tap it off before applying. Also, if you're using the mineral veil, try using less. And "warmth" really helps me to look less powdery.

You just can't fluff it on with the brush, you have to buff it on. If you purchased a kit, it should have a tutorial video that comes with it. If you looked too powdery or dry you either used too much or didn't apply it correctly or both. You don't need a whole lot to start, and remember, swirl, tap, buff. When applied correctly you will have a beautiful air-brush complexion.

hmm...do you use moisturizer? if not, definitly put it on before you apply the mineral makeup.

I have used mineral makeup and only like to use it in the summertime. i think because its not as heavy, and sets it better then the winter months. I find it looks powdery in the winter months, because my skin is dryer. I use liquid foundation now, MaryKay to give my face a little moisture.

Try evening out your skin before putting the bare minerals on... like just a light layer of face lotion, I use the Clinique one and it works very well plus it adds moisture if your skin is dry.

i wear bare minerals and LOVE it. nothing has ever looked as good. so basically you have to pour a little into the top cap and take the brush, dap it into the powder and go in circular motions on your face. i always go outward in. and once you put in on in it usually seeps into your skin a little with your natural facial oils making it look really natural.

You're either using too much, or not buffing it in enough. Be sure to tap all the excess of the brush, and buff it in really well. Also use a lotion or primer on your skin first.

i knowwww. i tried it and my face was powdery too! doesnt look good on oily type skins like mine :s i would suggest use less or use foundation before and then apply just the minimum....

i don't like the minerals idea. it made my face all powdery too. i dunno...i like cover girl