Chrystal M asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What is approximate cost to treat heartworms in an adult dog?

Has anybody ever done this treatment with their dog? I've been told by friends everything from $200 to $1500 for heartworm treatment in a heartworm-positive dog. Does anybody know an "approximate" cost? What is the length of treatment time? I live in Texas.

I'm not talking about preventative heartworm medicine. I'm talking about TREATING IT ONCE A DOG HAS HEARTWORMS.

We are considering all factors before we decide to adopt a stray.

I'M NOT TASKING THE COST OF HEARTWORM PREVENTATIVE. ~~~PLEASE READ THE QUESTION~~~

Favorite Answer

Depending on the worm load, there are different ways to treat which vary in cost and they all charge by weight.

A holistic treatment that more than a few have told me is at this website. http:/www.ambertech.com It is called worm free.

Heartworm live for approx 2 yrs in a dog. If the worm load is low, then you can treat by giving the dog a heartworm pill twice a month for , I believe 6 months. This is the least expensive way to go. As for giving the heartworm pill to a positive dog, read Dr Malernee's site. He's a regular vet in Boca Raton, Fl. http://www.evidencebasedvet.com/ Click on articles and scroll down to the one on heartworm. Be sure to follow the link to the government's website. Heartworm dogs were given Heartgard in the original study. At the end of the study, all the dogs were heartworm free.

Cost Of Heartworm Treatment

• ?

Heartworm Treatment Cost

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): approximate cost treat heartworms adult dog: https://tr.im/0lDxB

It depends on the weight of your dog. For a dog over 80# it will cost $1000 or more. Go to the American Heartworm Society for details about treatment. After an initial positive heartworm test, the test needs to be confirmed by a direct observational test for small larval worms in the blood and a different second antigen test. If the diagnosis is confirmed, your dog needs bloodwork, chest x-ray and possibly and echocardiogram to assess its health and ability to survive treatment. Then the dog needs to be on a heartworm preventative for at least two months if not on one already (to kill the small larval worms), and month of Doxycycline (an antibiotic). Then your dog will get it s first injection of the medication used to kill adult worms. The dog will need to stay at the clinic for the night, get a second dose of medication the next day, and stay the night again. The dog then goes home on a corticosteroid (like prednisone) and an antihistamine. You cannot let your dog exercise. A month later the dog is given another dose of medication, and again one month after that. The dog then needs to be retested and further treatment may be needed if the dog still test positive after six months. Herbal and holistic treatments do not work.

• anne b

The heartworm treatment for my dog cost me $450. There was bloodwork done first to make sure she was healthy enough and that cost around $85. My dog was diagnosed late stage two. She had two injections and stayed overnight at the vet. It could end up being more if the dog is stage three, but if your dog is stage one, I would suggest alternative treatment, as the injections are very hard on the animal and could be life-threatening.

You can read about the various procedures on veterinarypartner.com.

Edit: The way Dane Lady suggested is the way I would have gone with my dog if I had it to do over. The treatment kills all the baby worms and sterilizes the adults so they can't reproduce. The only drawback is they stay in the heart, which increases the burden and could lead to heart disease. I wouldn't recommend it after early stage two, but it is a very reasonably priced alternative.

Source(s): dog rescue volunteer
  • ?

approximate cost treat heartworms adult dog

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU9DN

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

Our hospital charges anywhere from $300-600 depending on the severity and stage of the heartworms. However, price will vary from location to location. Your best bet is to simply call local clinics around you and ask for estimates. Phone calls are free and you will get a good idea of the expenses to expect in your area.

We keep dogs anywhere from 5-10 days, again, depending on the stage. Good luck!

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://tr.im/05juU