Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Can you be swayed on a issue?

Is it possible for someone to sway your opinion on any certain issue? If so what is it?

Mine is the death penalty

Right now i support it, i believe the worst crimes such as murder, pedophilia should be punishable by death.

But i also think some things are a more extremam punishment than death- thus i may be swayed.

I believe life in solitary confinement is worse than death. A whole lifetime to reflect on what you have done, knowing their is no escaping your crimes, or punishment.

Best Answer

I cannot be swayed on the death penalty. There are way to many reasons to be for it, and no good reason to be against it. Here are some reasons why everybody shoul be in favor of the death penalty:

-it serves due justice (the punishment fits the crime), and serving due justice is the NO.1 job of a court of law (preventing crime is NOT their job)

-it shows that we are tough on crime

-it gets bang for the taxpayers buck

-criminals given the DP have a 0% recidivism rate

-It holds people responcible for the horrible content of their character. This fulfills what MLKJ always wanted: judge not by the color of your skin, but by the content of your character. The characterof these criminals warrants death

-It holds the criminal responcible for his actions

-appeals and **** aside, it's cheaper then prison

-it decreases the prison population, which saves even more taxpayers money

-Because the death penalty is the punishment given by a neutrel judge, there is no vengance in it. Therefore, there is no moral objection to be had with the death penalty.

-The death penalty defends human rights by establishing a mentality that "we will not tolerate any violation of any innocent person's human right's

There are pragmatic reasons to oppose the death penalty. You don't have to sympathize with criminals or want them to avoid terrible punishments for terrible crimes to ask if the death penalty prevents or even reduces crime, to look at alternatives and to think about the risks of executing innocent people.

126 people on death rows released with proof that they were wrongfully convicted. DNA, available in less than 10% of all homicides, can’t guarantee we won’t execute innocent people.

The death penalty doesn't prevent others from committing murder. No reliable study shows the death penalty deters others. To deter others a punishment must be sure and swift. The death penalty is neither. Homicide rates are higher in states and regions that have it than in those that don’t.

We have a good alternative, life without parole, on the books in 48 states. It means what it says. It is sure, swift and rarely appealed. Life without parole costs less than the death penalty.

The death penalty costs much more than life in prison, mostly because of the legal process which is supposed to prevent executions of innocent people.

The death penalty isn't reserved for the worst crimes, but for defendants with the worst lawyers. It doesn't apply to people with money. When is the last time a wealthy person was on death row, let alone executed?

The death penalty doesn't necessarily help families of murder victims. Murder victim family members have testified that the drawn-out death penalty process is painful for them and that life without parole is an appropriate alternative.

Problems with speeding up the process. Over 50 of the innocent people released from death row had already served over a decade. Speed up the process and we will execute innocent people.

Source(s): Death Penalty Information Center, www.deathpenaltyinfo.org, for stats on executions and states where they occurred, reports on costs, deterrence studies, links to FBI crime stats and links to testimony (at state legislatures) of victims' family members. FBI http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_04.html The Innocence Project, www.innocenceproject.org www.deathpenaltyfocus.org for info on why the death penalty costs so much

Like you on certain issues I might be swayed. However on the economy, or the governments role in abortion issues, I know I won't be swayed.

The death penalty, I feel should be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that some serial killers, like Manson, Dahmer, Starkweather, Green river killer, the Iceman, and others of their ilk definitely deserve just punishment.

I would really be interested to hear what other punishment would be worse, yet not barbaric for murderers.

~

I am for the death penalty, but only in cases where the accused can go from the court room to the gas chamber. Liberals don't understand, the death penalty is EARNED by actions, not their existance. In reality, it costs too much to do. Thanks liberals.

I personally would like to see our prisons in Alaska, at or above the artic circle. I would like to see them turning big rocks into little rocks. I would like them to be caned when they rape, and murder in prision. Prison should be hell on earth. And there should be 4-5 different kinds of prision. One's for non-violent crimes up to genocide.

I think it would be tough to sway my positions. I back the Constituition...an issue that may make me think a little would be abortion. Is it up to our government to determine the route that women take to terminate a pregnancy, and when does a fetus become a life with full civil rights.

Many are against the death penalty citing that the rich are never sent to the death chamber. Similarly, rich women never die from a back alley abortion either. In both cases it’s the only the poor that suffer.

Yes, change is the natural process of thinking and growing as an individual.

Yes. Military action.

If one can provide additional information either for or against taking military action, I would consider the additional information.

Yes if given facts, that can be verifed only a fool will not change his mind, but rhetoric should never be confused with facts.

• Bobo

Absolutely. With a good dose of sound, pragmatic, logical facts.