Is my car burning oil?

I have an 01 protege, after the car has been sitting overnight and I turn it on thick smoke is coming out of the muffler, it smells like burning oil. It only happens for about 2 minutes then stops and won't happen again until the car has sat for a while and I turn it on again.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you have a broken seal , if you cant afford the repair change the oil and put the thickest oil like 20w50 also go to an auto parts place or walmart and get STP oil treatment it comes il a little red jug and put two of those in your oil it will slow it down but wont fix the major problem

• 5 years ago

Pretty bad...you probably have heavily worn piston rings and the oil is blowing past them during the compression stroke and burning off. It's slow enough that you wouldn't have huge plumes of smoke while driving...but enough where a small amount of gray or white smoke would be coming out of the exhaust whilst driving. Assuming the thing was topped off with 4-5 quarts at the last oil change, burning a quart every 1,000-or-so miles is a high loss rate. Not catastrophic...but very high. Realistically, if you remember to add a quart every 1,000 miles, your car will last for a couple of more years. (Next time you have the oil changed, check the dipstick immediately to make sure that the mechanic has filled the oil to the proper level.) As for the oil light not coming on...IF the car indeed had only one quart left in it...it SHOULD have come on....or at least flickered during hard braking or fast turns. Most likely the plug to the oil sensor is disconnected or broken off. It's fairly easy to knock this thing loose when working under the car. It could also be that the sensor plug that screws into the oil pan is faulty. A not-very-common event...but a cheap and easy fix. Finally, running your car to the low fuel light has nothing to do with the engine oil. It being on wouldn't affect oil consumption in any manner.

• Mike B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes. Most likely the valve guide seals are worn out and need to be replaced. Oil is seeping past the seals and down the valve stems.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its not rings. 2 things can cause it. 1, the oil drain holes under the valve pans are clogged and 2, you have bad valve seals.take off the valve pans and see if theres a bunch of oil laying there, if there is, take a piece of stiff wire and run down the drain holes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i agree with the valve seal. also try to have your car tune up after changing the valve seal.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

is there any oil spots under the car in the drive or where you park at then you have a leak and yes.... just might be cold weather and steam

• valve seals are bad replace them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.