China asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

congestive heart failure and lasix?

my dog is taking lasix for her congestive heart failure and she is having accidents all the time...its like she don't know its happening. It happens mostly when shes asleep but it has happened when shes awake. My vet said don't limit her water so what should I do. I've never had to deal with accidents...I have always had a doggie door and now its happening everywhere in my home and often on my lap. Help I am desperate!!!

No shes not on any other medication and I have tried getting her to go outside and I give her the lasix about 5:30 ish and we go to be around 9ish...and she still has accidents all night long. At least 2 or 3 times a night. I am afraid diapers will keep her wet for to long of a peroid at night.

Favorite Answer

Lasix (furosemide) is a loop diuretic and it inhibits the uptake of sodium (salt). And where ever salt goes, the water goes w/ it. Lasix can cause electrolyte imbalances, but as long as the diet is healthy along with water replacement, your dog should be ok. The accidents are not the dogs fault. But consider the alternative. Being unable to breathe is just straight up suffering. Be sure to follow up with the vet constantly. Walk your dog twice as much as you used to. If the water continues to build up in the lungs, pneumonia can easily set in. An anti-biotic may be required with Lasix therapy. I understand what's happening. Our 13 y/o mini-pincher eventually died of CHF. But in the end, he did well for a time because we got him treatment so his last days were good days and he could breathe. G'luck there!

Source(s): Been there, done that.

1

Source(s): Secret To Destroy Diabetes - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?hZHX

2

Source(s): Reverse Any Diabetes Easily - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?wKIZ

Unfortunately this is going to be a side effect. Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) if right-sided leads to pulmonary edema and basically "drowning" and left-sided leads to things like a congested liver/liver failure and ascites (fluid in the abdomen). The best diuretic available is lasix and this is a very acceptable treatment. Of course you shouldn't limit water intake because you are forcing water out at great rates and your dog might otherwise become dehydrated. You might have luck with a less potent diuretic but this all depends on the severity of the condition. Your veterinarian can help give you some advice or other treatment options.

Lasix For Dogs

I had this issue with a little mixed dog we had. The lasix is what some older folks call a "water pill"- basically, it draws excess fluid off of your dog's heart/lungs and this water has to go somewhere, so it comes out through the bladder. It's not uncommon for the little guys to start having accidents when on lasix.

You might try getting some doggie panties- the ones for dogs in heat. You can put a regular sanitary pad, or a human incontinent pad in it. This should help some.

Good luck!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

congestive heart failure and lasix?

my dog is taking lasix for her congestive heart failure and she is having accidents all the time...its like she don't know its happening. It happens mostly when shes asleep but it has happened when shes awake. My vet said don't limit her water so what should I do. I've never had to deal...

Source(s): congestive heart failure lasix: https://tr.im/Ux6FI
  • Stark

I have heard of this treatment for Congestive heart failure. I would trust your veterinarian.

As for the accidents you could try using one of those diapers that people use when their dog is in heat for during the day. And you could also try getting an easy to clean doggie bed for at night. Something that you can zip the cover off and wash it. You can have a few different replacement covers. And you can train her to use puppy pads, and have them available incase she isn't able to make it outside in time. Good Luck with your dog!

That is a good concern about the diapers, they might keep her wet. If it is a really big issue for you, you can have a few diapers on hand, and only use them during the times when her accidents are worse. Not at night, but during the day only.

**This is the Type of bed I'm talking about, one where the covering slips off so it can be easily washed.

http://www.autoanything.com/seat-covers/69A2348A0A...

While the lasix makes her urinate more,she shouldn't be having accidents every where.Try making a trip outside with her about 2 hours after her lasix.I'd have her checked for a urine infection too.Does the vet have her on any other meds? added,in dogs they rarely have have a problem with potassium,unlike humans

Please check out yahoo group canine congestive heart failure,look thru the drug protocols and other ingo in files and data

I am a human on Lasix. Wasn't even sure what I was on it for. Now I know.