never got my w2 need to file my taxes but need employers tax id number where can i get thieir gone?

business is now closed and there is no one to ask the payroll compnay refuses to give the info although i can use my last paystub to file the taxes none the less i still need the taxpayer id - anyone know how to get this in MASS

Thank you very much to all who answered or at least tried. Only worked for this CO. for 6 months, they are now closed. Law states that we must RECEIVE the W2 BY 1/31 not that it must be mailed by then. Payroll Co is ADP in Waltham, Mass they claim they can't give it out. No where on my paystubs from them was ever the EIN (Emp. Tax ID) Point is that I was trying to do my taxes online cause I would like to do the direct deposit which I woud receive in 7 days yet now I have to play these head games with a moron that is shady. Not happy. I will call the IRS on Monday as well as that STATE of Mass and the UE office someone HAS to have that info. Thanks to all for all your insight and help - many Blessings to all this 2008

Favorite Answer

It should be on your paystub.

You don't need the EIN (employee identification number) when filing by paper. In other words, you can't file on-line, but you can still file.

If you still want to file on-line, contact the IRS about the payroll company's refusal to provide vital tax information. I don't imagine that they have any right to not provide that.

Check the paystub again for the EIN--you might find it on there, hidden in an odd corner. Also, the IRS should have this information on file, and should be able to help you find it out.

You need the W-2. If they used a payroll company, you'll get it. If you don't have it by Feb 15th, call the IRS and lodge a complaint. They'll assist you in getting it or show you how to provide alternative documentation.

You don't want to go the alternate route if at all possible as it WILL delay your refund for weeks or months while the IRS tries to verify the information.

First of all, W-2s did not have to be mailed until January 31, so wait a week before you do anything.

Then check your Secretary of State's website corporate records; that may list the id number, although I don't think you need it to file your taxes. Also, my pay stubs include my employer's id number.

They must have it mailed by 1/31 so it should be soon.