Why do you think the Catholic Church in the US is dying?

<October 2004>

1. In 1965 there were 58,632 Priests.

Now, 41,212 (30% Decrease)

Since most are 65 years or older, the % drop could reach 85% in 7 to 10 years leaving less than 12,000 priests. And most of these are in aging categories.

2. In 1965 there were 48,992 Seminarians.

Now, 4,719 (90% Decrease)

3. In 1965 there were 12,271 Religious Brothers.

Now, 5,505 (55% Decrease)

4. In 1965 there were 179,954 Religious Sisters.

Now, 71,468 (61% Decrease)

5. In 1965 there were 1,566 Diocesan High Schools.

Now, 786 (50% Decrease)

6. In 1965 there were 10,503 Catholic Grade Schools.

Now, 6,623 (37% Decrease)

7. In 1965 there were 104,314 Teaching Sisters.

Now, 8,233 (92% Decrease)

8. In 1965 there were 12,346 Teaching Priests.

Now, 1,897 (85% Decrease)

9. In 1965 there were 65% of Catholics Attending Weekly Mass. Now, 25% (62% Decrease)

Source: http://catholicmoraltruth.com/churchstatistics.htm

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=22...

-----------------------------------------

I'm not being sarcastic toward the Catholic Church. But I obviously see many statistics implying tremendous declination of Catholic Church in the U.S. particularly. What is the cause of this catastrophe?

But I don't think the whole Christianity's dying. In fact, there are many "minor" denominations that is gaining more and more members.

Favorite Answer

There could be many reasons. Let's see.

- secularization, that is to say, less believers overall. Not so sure about that...

- increased popularity of evangelical christianity being more attractive to the youth

-scandals surrounding Catholic priests

those are just a few possibilities...

• If we are to believe that first U.S. immigrants from Europe came here for freedom to worship, and unless much mistaken, none of them were Catholic, it is really a wonder that in the U.S. there have come to be so many Catholics.

Instead of counting to see how many priests the Catholic Church has_and I myself am not Catholic_why don't we all recognize that those few there might be are still doing a lot of good deeds for the community, especially feeding and clothing the hungry...I always knew this out of reading about it. Now I know by experience, for some very close relatives of mine are indeed receiving food from the Church along with at least one hundred other "participants" who go there every Saturday.

Nah, don't apologise. You did a great job bringing that statistic to our attention. I for one enjoyed very much reading it.

Now, to answer your question, I think that the Catholic Church in the United States is dying because the Protestant Church is growing.

Source(s): History of the Church

Think about it in relation to the population of the total US in those years. The first one is when the baby boomers were in school and their just arn't as many people as there was then.

I have one answer for you. the catholics are known for their boozing, I know, I used to be hitched to one and now believe the church has about drowned itself in alcohol and drugs I think that catholics think since Jesus made wine for the bible folk that it is o.k. to drink as much as you want and you will still go to heaven, although yourmind will be in the clouds alright from emvibing that doesn't mean you are not a sinner, because you are definiling your own human body and that's the only one you have. maybe people are starting to wise up about all of the boozing and drugs.by the way wine is poison, did you know that? my good catholic x wife by the way is totally paralyzed now and has been for a dozen years because of boozing and dope and got in such a stupor that she wrecked her car so think about that before you say amen and pass the jug and maryjane

well, it has been openly exposed as shielding and protecting serial child molesters. Hard to imagine any organization with such a widespread problem maintaining its membership.

Then theres the fact that they elected a former Nazi, who still espouses some of the old doctrines ("purification" of native cultures, violent homophobia), as their leader. That would give most rational people a strong reason to leave such a cult.

• carole

For it is written' Babylon the Great will Fall It is ALL those not in favor of Jehovahs right to rule and welcome HIs Kingdom to come.

As people become more educated and intelligent, the will naturally believe in fewer and fewer fairy tales, such as Religion or Cults or scam artists -- all the same thing!

:)

because the Pentecostals et al have driven them out of the south and are still lieing about the church

One word: Education.

The Catholic church has long relied on fear and superstition, in my opinion; now that people in the U.S. are at least minimally educated and can read the Bible for themselves, the Church has lost the advantage of having an ignorant following.