Should I change my cats food?

Our 15 month old cat as a UTI. She's on antibiotics and the vet put her on Royal Canin Urinary formula for two weeks. She seems to be doing fine now. She has a week to go on both the food and the pills. The vet said IF this happened again, we would need to change her diet permanently. My question is... show more Our 15 month old cat as a UTI. She's on antibiotics and the vet put her on Royal Canin Urinary formula for two weeks. She seems to be doing fine now. She has a week to go on both the food and the pills.

The vet said IF this happened again, we would need to change her diet permanently. My question is this. Should I just keep her on the special diet. I don't want it to happen again, both for her sake and my carpets sake!

Another consideration. I have a 2nd cat who is a very picky eater. I have no problem with her being on the special diet too but she's not eating it. I really don't want to feed them different foods. The baby will eat anything so I can't feed them together if they are on different foods and I don't have the option of feeding them in different places.

What are the odds that she will get another UTI? If I put her back on her regular diet (Purina indoor formula) after the 2 weeks would that be a mistake?
Update: Thanks. I know this is a one way or the other decision. My first instinct is to go back to the regular food and see what happens and hope it's a 1 time thing. I have been feeding them both dry food only. I have been considering adding wet food to their diet to increase the moisture content. The baby... show more Thanks. I know this is a one way or the other decision. My first instinct is to go back to the regular food and see what happens and hope it's a 1 time thing.

I have been feeding them both dry food only. I have been considering adding wet food to their diet to increase the moisture content. The baby loves to drink running water at the sink and we let her do that all the time. But, obviously when we are at work all day and sleeping all night no one is there to turn the water on. I can honestly say I can't ever remember seeing her drink out of the water bowl. I know she must because when we went on vacation for a week in the summer my neighbor fed the cats and she didn't turn on the water so the baby must have drank out of the bowl. Of course, I don't watch her 24/7.

I'm wondering if she drinks enough and with a dry only diet may have contributed to her getting UTI. Wouldn't adding wet food help? What if I put them back on the regular food and added the wet?
Update 2: I have a friend who has been feeding her cats Purina urinary formula for years and her cats are great, old and healthy. The Royal Canin from the vet is way to expensive to buy for two cats all the time, if I can even get them to eat it. Even the baby is only nibbling at it. It is not going over well at... show more I have a friend who has been feeding her cats Purina urinary formula for years and her cats are great, old and healthy. The Royal Canin from the vet is way to expensive to buy for two cats all the time, if I can even get them to eat it. Even the baby is only nibbling at it. It is not going over well at all.

The other cat has only nibbled at it once in the last 4 days. I am giving it one more day and then I'm putting her back on the regular diet. It's got to be better than eating NOTHING!

I am on a very limited income and I can't afford to spend a ton on special foods for two different cats. I love them both dearly but facts are facts. I can't spend money I simply don't have!