Another question about my pending puppy adoption....?

The rescue org that has the litter of shih tzu pups at the adopt-a-thon required an application, which I did. They didn't check my references but said my application was good and approved me. They charge $125 to adopt a female shih tzu pup and $100 deposit returned when I get her spayed. I asked the man... show more The rescue org that has the litter of shih tzu pups at the adopt-a-thon required an application, which I did. They didn't check my references but said my application was good and approved me. They charge $125 to adopt a female shih tzu pup and $100 deposit returned when I get her spayed.

I asked the man who runs the rescue how he obtained these puppies and was told that he got them from a puppy mill. He said that the puppies were too old to go to a petstore (they would have been about 8 weeks at the time) so the mill called this rescue group to place them. He said that this happens frequently.

Does this sound reasonable? Once again I find myself questioning whether or not this is a responsible process. I'm very concerned about the number of rescues that I have talked to with major red flags.... they all seem to be rescues that use only fosters and have puppies available. The shelters and pound never have small breed puppies!
Update: Total price = $225 then 100 returned at time of spay which I will do. The pups are heartworm neg and have their first round of shots. The rescue tells me that they were inspected by a vet and overall healthy; no murmurs, eyes and ears healthy, etc. I'm just not sure what to do. I really think a puppy is... show more Total price = $225 then 100 returned at time of spay which I will do. The pups are heartworm neg and have their first round of shots. The rescue tells me that they were inspected by a vet and overall healthy; no murmurs, eyes and ears healthy, etc.

I'm just not sure what to do. I really think a puppy is in the best interest for our exsiting dog.

AM I BETTER OFF getting a puppy from a rescue that perhaps is supporting simply by offering them a solution ~OR~ am I better off buying one from a breeder?

Also note, I don't see how these pups couldn't be sold at a pet store. They are the right size, shape, color, etc.