Should I go to Nuclear Power School in the US Navy?

I am seriously considering it, and I was looking for any advice from people who are currently or recently working for the navy doing nuke. I understand how it will affect my future, but I have also heard alot of negative about how hard it is, and how i could look forward to the least amount of freetime in the navy and the most work. If there is anyone who is in nuclear right now that would be willing to share some emails regarding this rating I would SoOOOOOOO appreciate it. any and all advice, tips, experiances, ect. would be appreciated. thank you.

Best Answer

My husband just finished all three schools for the Nuke program and I can tell you what I know.

A-school starts every 3 months as far as I know and the length varies from 13-26 weeks based on rate. During that time, you'll have to wear your uniform off-base and stuff, until you've done well enough and don't get put on restriction or something. A-school is a piece of cake, it's just reviewing math and stuff.

Power school is next, and it's a classroom session, too, and it's way harder. This school is six months long and you should get 2 weeks leave between A-school and power school, and there is a graduation ceremony after every school. Power school is where you start learning the more serious stuff that you can't share with anyone, period.

After that school you should get some leave time and then go on to Prototype (NPTU). Now, A school and Power school are both in Goose Creek, SC, but there are two Prototype schools. One is in Goose Creek and the other is in Ballston Spa, NY. From what I've been told, there are two real submarines in SC and just a building in NY. Both are totally outdated and hard to maneuver, even more than an actual submarine. Either way, you'll work on a live reactor and have an instructor with you almost always. This school is also six months long. MM's have the chance to go to welding school which is in Groton, CT I think. After the hands-on training at Prototype, you'll receive orders.

As far as subs go, Boomers (SSBN's) have a standard sea schedule, 3 months at home, 3 months at sea, with a blue crew and a gold crew that rotate. SSGN's, however, do not. They do a single 6-month deployment every year and a half, but they're gone during that time. My husband is on the Virginia and he's gone now, even though he's not on a deployment (6+ months at sea). These short in-and-outs are called underways. Carriers can be nice, too, but you're working with 5,000 people rather than 150 on a sub.

Anyway, there's some general info. You will probably go from RTC in Great Lakes directly to SC and be put on T-track (hold) until there's enough people for your class, which can take a few weeks to three months. It just depends on how many people are attending, as there are about 25-30 students needed per class-up. A-school is a lot more relaxed, it's not like boot camp. The real Navy is nothing like boot camp, just keep telling yourself that the eight weeks you endure at boot camp isn't permanent. By the time you reach the fleet you'll realize what a joke it is. Not to mention, battlestations has been redone, so that should be a lot of fun :).

Keep quiet, do your best and don't volunteer for anything, because when you get to A-school, no one cares if you caught more crap because you were RPOC or anything else. I was the RSPO and my husband was the Laundry PO (lol) and it was not the brightest decision...get your stuff done and get out, that's the thing to remember.

Nukes are the top 10% of the Navy. Being a Nuke has its advantages, like promotion to E4 after A-school or Power school, I don't remember which. Good luck--tough program, great rewards...like bonuses :).

Source(s): Ex-Navy, now Navy wife...feel free to pm me w/ any questions. I'll tell you what I know, it's not much lol.
  • larmon

Navy Nuclear Power School

I was on board a nuclear ballistic missle Submarine (USS Von Steuben SSBN 632 Blue - Decommisioned) I loved being on subs, and Yes the Nukes do have long Hours. When we did turn over - for 30 days we refitted the ship for another 3 month deployment - you hardly saw the Nukes, But out at sea they worked the same amount as anyone else pretty much and when you are out to sea its good to work -passes the time. In our off crew office they did the standard training and classes but in off crew we only worked 4 -6 hours a day monday thru Thursday.. SO if you scored high enough on your ASVABs and can make it through school I would say GO FOR IT! Its an awsome opportunity and you would be set - You can do a minimum 6 years or more if you like and when you get out you can procatically get any job you want - especially becasue of the security clearence level you receive and background check. You get paid to get some of the best schooling you can get, how can you turn that down? the sacrifices you make in going Nuke will pay dividends in years to come.

Good luck on what ever choice you make!

p.s. The school is the toughest school in (mentally) that the military has to offer, kind of the best-of the-best as far as education goes.

Source(s): Former US NAVY Submariner

WELL IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT THE SCHOOL IS AT KIRTLAND AFB. OK SORRY WRONG SCHOOL WAS THINKING ABOUT THE NUCLEAR WEAPONS SCHOOL. GOOD LUCK

Source(s): USAF SECURITY FORCES

You should not join and go to college for Nuclear Engineering. They make 5 times the money out of school than enlisted servicemembers.