Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 decade ago

meet the parents?

i am 17 and my bf is 21...i told my mom about my relationship last year (we've been together for almost 2 years)..but i can tell she doesn't take me seriously...in fact she sometimes act like i don't even have a bf..i know maybe it's a protection thing..but i want to be able to share my ups and downs with my mom...right now i don't even want to mention him in front of my mom because i know she doens't approve of him ( he goes to community college...you guys know how asian parents are...they all want their daughter/son to be with someone who's basically a Berkeley or NYU graduate making tons and tons of money each year)...she doesn't think that my relationship is serious and she is basically expecting me to break up with my bf if i meet someone better in college...she was actually super surprised when i told her that we've been together for a year on our anniversary date...i am open to hear ANY advice/comments thanks guys (:

some people say that i should just ignore it and it's just a phase...and plus it's MY relationship...between me and him...but i have a really close relationship with my mom...so i would definetly want her approval.

• Favorite Answer

Your parents have illusions for you with the very best of intentions. That is something very precious nowadays. You seem like a good girl and girl who would never want to cause her parents any type undue stress. That is also something very precious nowadays. I think that you should try to find a way to work this boyfriend into meeting with the parents. I bet you have pretty good judgment so I will bet that your parents will like him. Go for it.

I would say do the opposite... just keep casually throwing in his name in conversation, for example if you and him do stuff together, sort of mention it in passing like you would about your friends. If she makes a negative comment, just ignore it, you don't want to fight with her about it. If your relationship stays strong, I think in time she'll slowly learn to accept he is a part of your life, and that you aren't with him out of some act of defiance.

randomly say things like how nice your bf is, what he did for you, how much you love him, etc...

say them once a day or more, then she will start to understand that the relationship is serious.

you could either fight it or..just let her win. Depends how much he means to you.