Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

what category would 'Flowers in the Attic' [by Virgina Andrews] fall under ?

Like what genre in books is it ?

eg. Harry Potter = Fantasy

Flowers in the Attic = ?

i like books like that...but dunno what genre it actually is

yeah ive read the rest of the dollanganger series except the last one [garden of shadows] which i am currently reading now. I do like her books, they're very good.

Favorite Answer

The official term is "gothic fiction", but depending on what aspect of the story you like best, the genre you look under will change. For example, if you just liked the romantic aspect, you might be able to look into the Twilight series (which I haven't read, but am told is good) or Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (Which I have, and it's fantastic).

Gothic fiction generally involves a mix of horror and romance. From wikipedia: "Gothic fiction depends on a pleasing sort of terror, an extension of essentially Romantic literary pleasures that were relatively new at the time of Walpole's novel. [...] Prominent features of Gothic fiction include terror (both psychological and physical), mystery, the supernatural, ghosts, haunted houses and Gothic architecture, castles, darkness, death, decay, doubles, madness, secrets and hereditary curses."

If you do like books like that, read the rest of that series (the doppleganger series), and the rest of Andrew's series. They are all pretty much like Flowers in the Attic.

I hope I helped, and happy reading!

Hmm I really don't know everytime i bought a book it was just in the General Adult Fiction section. I've been reading her since 5th grade. I was reading jackie collin at the same time maybe you should try some of her books. They are equally good.

Flowers in the Attic= incest....just kidding! I would label it under Romance

• LilyRT

I've seen it in the romance section, but I sure wouldn't call it that myself. Psychological drama, maybe? It's not quite fast paced enough to be a psychological thriller.

That's a hard one. For some reason, I want to say Fantasy.

How about just a messed up book? :)