Why is it that we Christians cannot support those who are gay?

I hear some preach that we should "love thy neighbor" and show the love of Christ through our actions, and yet those same people tell us that gays, lesbians, bisexuals, etc. should not be tolerated because that would be"accepting an evil that is created by Satan" and that people with different sexual preferences are bad because "God only wanted people together who were man and woman like Adam and Eve".

I think that as good Christians, we need to be there for those with different beliefs and views, especially since studies say homosexuals are more likely to be depressed and suicidal.

Jesus didn't put down people. He accepted them and showed God's love though ACTIONS. We need to stop being Christian and start being more like Christ. I am Christian and I know that there will be those that hate me for this, but why is it that we cannot at least be there for those with different beliefs and lifestyles?

Umm Convictionist? I am sorry for offending you. It's just that I was running out of letters and also that this question doesn't necessarily refer only to people with different sexual preferences. "Lifestyle" could refer to a different religious view or anything. I am sorry to anyone else I might offend.

I also think that the rest of us Christians need to remember that we were all sinners too before we accepted Christ. Is it any more sinful to be homosexual than it is to swear, listen to rap, watch scantily-clad women perform during half-time shows, or to be jealous of another person?

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely right on, hAppY giRl uNKnown! I really love what you said, "We need to stop being Christian and start being more like Christ." That's just super advice!

Yes, just as Jesus loved dearly all folks, especially those who "have gone astray" as-it-were (actually, haven't we all according to the prophet Isaiah, chapter 53, verse 6?), doesn't this certainly then involve tolerating the wayward manner of others? Who are we not to?

Therefore, let's put your advice into practice, and DO the things that Jesus did. DO creatively think of ways to meet some need of your gay or lesbian neighbor, and then offer your services (i.e., water their garden, tend to their pet, while their away on vacation). DO invite them over for dinner, even with his or her lover. If this idea rattles you a bit, then just consider him or her a friend, and treat him or her like one, just like anyone else that you would have some sort of association with in the world, such as at your place of employment! DO find commonalities in conversation that'll make them more apt to talk and laugh with you (i.e., movie and TV dramas and comedy, humorous events in one's family history). DO ask if there's anything that you could keep confidentially in prayer for them, that won't give them the idea that your trying to convert them on the spot!

It was these very things that attracted me to returning to the Lord and His people, after I had been in a gay lifestyle for a couple of years. Without experiencing these expressions of His love through those who represent Him, I don't think I'd be following Him, at least as diligently, as I am now thirty years later!

And, you are so right, contrary to what others have already said here, studies have shown that gays and lesbians are much more vulnerable to mental illness and substance abuse, and this doesn't seem to be directly related to the societal stressors of discrimination (yes, I've experienced this as well, and it's not a pleasant experience!). Rather, it is directly related somewhat to their unchosen affections, but predominantly so to their chosen lifestyles. (I'd be glad to get the professional journal reference for this fact, just in the asking, if you don't have it already.)

And, sadly, no, it is propaganda, not science, to say that people are born that way, and that they cannot experience freedom from these unchosen affections (Bailey and Pillard's identical twin studies from the 90's; Spitzer, 2002). Just like straight or bi sexually broken people, we gays and ex-gays can live a lifestyle of holiness and/or sexual wholeness in traditional bonds of marriage. And, no, the teenage suicide rate is NOT any higher than "straight" teenagers, according to science, nor has reparative therapy proven to be harmful. In fact, according to Jones and Yarhouse, 2007, it has proven to be beneficial to a majority of those who undergo such therapy, and is likened to the results and benefits of cognitive plus medication therapy for depressed clients!

It's a good ruling. The student group wanted official recognition from the university (and the funds that go along with that recognition), but refused to sign on to the university's non-discrimination policy, which all student groups must do in order to achieve official recognition. When the university said, "sorry, but no agreement, no recognition, simple as that", the student law group sued for religious discrimination. The Court got it absolutely right; you can't have it both ways and get a special exemption. I just wish this wasn't yet another 5-4 decision; that means the issue is going to come up again, when somebody thinks the composition of the Court is more "favorable" to their argument. @MM: Fair enough point about federal funds, but most of the money in question here came from a pool that was funded by "student activity fees" that everyone at the school pays into as part of the normal tuition expense. The university has the non-discrimination policy in place exactly so a discriminatory group wouldn't be funded by the very students who it excludes, which would be pretty perverse, yeah?

All I can say is that I am Christian and I believe in the main points in the religion but there are certain small things that I do not believe.. this being one of them. You don't have to believe everything and this is just a case of point of people taking stuff to literally and believing everything without questioning. I, for one, don't think any different of a homosexual person then I would a heterosexual...

I believe that in the world as a whole discrimination and hatred of homosexuals is too much of an excepted thing. Take for instance gay marriage.. all common law is is another form of "separate but equal" that we were using against another race long ago and was also once deamed exceptable. In the end people fear what they don't understand.. and typically those that have these feelings are uneduated (males) that are insecure with their very own sexuallity.

God is the one that created marriage between one man and one woman. Homosexuality and ANY SEX outside of Marriage is sin. Sexual behavior like homosexuality is not genetic and is a choice that people make.

Jesus did not tolerate sin. He had compassion and mercy, but He taught people to repent from their sins.

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repent means to turn around and go a different direction, it does not mean to say I am sorry and continue to walk in the same direction.

Christians are to mortify the deeds of the flesh, that means through the power of the Holy Ghost and the word of God we are to overcome sin and walk in righteousness.

I believe that sin is sin. A liar is just as much of a sinner as someone who participates in the homosexual lifestyle. It doesn't mean that I treat them any different. We are all people, and we all sin. There is not a scale of sins, they are all the same in God's eyes. What matters is that we acknowledge sin if we are claiming to follow Jesus. We aren't perfect on day 1 of salvation, but we must believe the Bible and do all we can to turn away from our sins, whatever they may be.

If someone isn't a Christian, then does it really matter what sins they commit?? For those outside, we just need to be good friends and love them, showing them who Jesus is to us, and when their time comes, they'll meet Him too. Constantly telling them they're sinning gets us nowhere. It is God's kindness that leads us to repentance, not His finger pointing. :)

I still believe what the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin. I understand it way more than the common Christian though, because I used to be gay. I have compassion on them, I know a bit about what they are going through.

I was not looked down on by anyone at any church I went to. They loved me. Their love is what helped me to come to know God, and through Him, find freedom. It didn't come right away, but the Christians in my life continued to love me as Jesus did the "sinners" around Him. That is the way to do it.

Love doesn't mean saying that sin is ok, it means loving people through their process of getting free of sin, supporting them as they fight through life. We don't have to bash people and remind them they're sinners every second of the day. If someone is walking with Jesus, He will take them into freedom over sin as they go along on the journey of life.

• Misty

Christians should support those who are homosexual, because they are made in the image of God and deserving of love, respect, and compassion. But...this does not mean acceptance of homosexual lifestyle.

Many people, like you, have the right idea but wrong in practice. Yes we are to love our neighbors, but loving them is telling them that what they are doing is dangerous for their soul...this is real love.

If someone was addicted to drugs or alcohol, is it loving to allow them to continue doing those things? Or is it more loving to help them stop?

Jesus loves us, but not by accepting our sin. He doesn't tell us to justify our sin and do as we please, he tells us to turn from sin..."go and sin no more."

Christians have a responsibility to stand up for the truth. It may not be what homosexuals want to hear, but that doesn't make it any less the truth. They can still do as they please, but they cannot say they did not know, or they were not told.

There are Christian support groups for homosexuals, and the Catholic Church teaches that they are to be treated with love, respect and dignity. Yet the Church also says that homosexual sex is intrinsically disordered.

Do not mistake love for acceptance. Love needs to be better than that.

ADDED: Actually, homosexual sex is worse than swearing or jealousy etc. It is one of the 4 sins that "cries to heaven for vengeance." Gen. 17:20-21

I do not put down gay people, or be mean to them, but if they ask me whether the act of homosexual sex is wrong, I will say yes it is a sin.

It is not me who decided that, it is in the Bible, there is a gay man who goes to my church, I like him. He doesn't expect the church to change its teachings for him. I don't know if he is currently an active homosexual or not... but I know he believes in Jesus and I know that he also accepts that homosexual sex is sin.. he has told me that much. I have never seen anyone from our church be mean to him... the ladies all love him, and sometimes he comes to craft days with the ladies, no one treats him badly.

The person who says that homosexual sex is not a sin, has never read Romans chapter 1. Romans is a new testament book also, so it can't be considered part of the old covenant.

Alot of Christians are always going on about how much love there is in Christianity, but reading through some of these answers all I see is alot of hate, discrimination and judgement. No human being has the right to judge another, taking a line from the bible 'Let ye without sin cast the first stone'. It seems that alot of Christians here think its their right to pass judgement on things they don't understand and all these Christians do is show up the decent Christians by their bigotry and their ignorance.

You know in the part of the world that Jesus would have come from there is a part of their culture that deals with same sex relationship. As young boys going through puberty it is quite acceptable to experience sex etc...with friends as in other boys, it is part of their culture and is seen as perfectly acceptable. This is part of their ancient culture that has been passed from one generation to the the next it is the same in Africa, Dubai etc. As an ex -travel writer this was something I learned on my travels. With this in mind I just don't see how some Christian's can say that it is a mortal sin.

Besides that if by the Christian's train of thought we are all God's Children and are all here because of God, who makes us who we are and people are born to find those of their own sex attractive then they where made that way for a reason.

I have read the messages from so called Christians who say they can't condone gay people or how they choose to live there lives is just ridiculous. Do Christians believe that because they are Christians and because they can read a book of stories written by flesh and blood men that they have the right to be condescending, obnoxious and judge people without know them. How Christian is that...I mean who appointed Christians the saviours of everybody else, thats what I mean about abnoxious, most Christians believe that their belief's, their religion is the only right one and that they need to force people into seeing the light, in other words you either turn to Christianity or your a sinner for life.

Many Christian's talk about deadly sins and mortal sins and half of them don't even understand the true meaning of these things - I mean many Christians I know preach about their religion, their bible the right way to live your life and the next thing you know there out every chance they can get boozing, sleeping with as many warm bodies as they can etc...etc.. and they have the cheek to think they have the right to preach to others what the right way to live is - if your a Christian who hasn't lived a saintly or angelic life then I believe that that it is these types of people or these types of Christians who have No Business telling other how to live or how to be.

Shame on all you so called Christians who have shown your obnoxious, judgemental, bigot, egotisical and holy than though attitude to anyone who is different, and to those here who have shown nothing but your ignorance and hatred...shame on you.

The Bible say a lot of things. It condones slavery and the subugation of woman by men.

I did not choose to be gay. God made me that way.

Why can't people start thinking for themselves and judge us NOT by a 2000 year old outmoted moral code or by a minor facet of our sex act.

Please judge us by the love in our hearts and the dedication and selfless love of our committed relationships.

It is not wonder that the average gay person is depressed or even suicidal. We are not only rejected by our families but even God is stolen from us.

And all those :"Christians" our there who say they LOVE us and then do everything in their power to make us miserable, please think about what you are doing. Especially to your very own children.

PLEASE.

Why do you think teen suicide among gay kids is 4 or more times that for straight ones? It sure isn't because of all the love bestowed upon us.

Despite what your religion may tell you. WE do NOT choose to be gay. We are NOT gay because we have rejected God.

And reparitive therapy contributes more to misery and suicide than any other factor in that gay person's life. PLEASE. See what the original founders of Exodous Internationl are NOW saying. It causes 100 times more harm than good.

Any religion which contributes to unnecessary misery, pain, and suffering is not worthy of the name.

And in spite of what many "Christians" "believe" emperical evidence clearly prooves that God DID create ADAM & STEVE.

Instead of reading Bible passages, how about opening your hearts and souls and recognize all the misery and pain your mindless hold on totally outdated understanding of morality causes innocent people.

===================================

and MISTY:

Just to state that homosexuality is an "intrinsic disorder" invites intollerance and defines a gay person as inferior spiritually and does violence to our gay children. That is DEFINITELY NOT loving them. The Catholic Church ALSO states that to be a good Christian one MUST actively discriminate against people who believe differently and live a gay lifestyle.

• Acorn

Amen. Thank you so much for those kind, truly Christian thoughts.

One thing I would add, though: I know many gay people, both Christian and non-. Very few of them are depressed or suicidal. The gay people who do become depressed and suicidal are usually that way because of the lies many Christians tell about them: that they are child abusers; that they are all degenerates; that they are essentially born as monsters, incapable of giving or receiving love. They hear these lies day in and day out, on TV, in church, in jokes in the lockerroom, from the time they are born till the day they die. Who wouldn't become depressed?

But if more sincere Christians like you would step up to the plate and confront the false witness that is homophobia, the light of Jesus could shine more strongly on everybody, whether or not they're gay or hetero.